Question on NITROX certification

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WaterDawg:
The dives arent just practicing diving EAN comp or tables, during my two dives my Instr introduced me to deepstops (wich go hand in hand w/ EAN IMO), we shot a bag did skills (OOA, mask R2, etc) and we also practiced rescuing a oxtoxing diver.

Any rescue practice has value, but with a PO2 of 1.4 ox tox is not very likely!! Nitrox is a shallow gas - deep stops and nitrox just do not mix. Sounds like a wierd course to me full of disinformation...

Chris

Chris, "Deep stops" are relative to your max depth. Say a 100ft dive (not uncomon w/ EAN)we did stops at starting at starting 75ft, etc as opposed to just the regular 15ft saftey stop.
There are many threads here that talk about deep stops, I suggest you do a search and learn more about them.

Yes Oxtox would be very uncommon at 1.4po2 but we are assuming that everyone will always stay w/ in thoses limitis and that toxing at 1.4 is impossible regardless of prior O2 exposure.

If your gonna be dealing w/ something (in this case EAN) it would be wise to learn rescue techs for any worst case senarios involving it.

WaterDawg:
But Can see that if you live in a cold place you cant do the dives or whatever. Are they giving you a discount???

Well the NAUI classroom only class in VT was asking $175.00...I don't know how that matchs up with other Diveshops??

Paul in VT

chrisch:
Any rescue practice has value, but with a PO2 of 1.4 ox tox is not very likely!! Nitrox is a shallow gas - deep stops and nitrox just do not mix. Sounds like a wierd course to me full of disinformation...

Chris
Deep stops and nitrox don't mix? Disinformation? what are you talking about? you've got no clue. PPO is all about the ox clock. that's insane to tell someone not to use nitrox at a deep stop.

Ask your potential instr what if anything they plan to do on thoses dives, if it souns like a guided tour and the price is right yeah skip it. BUt for instrs who are smart this is a great opportunity to use the time to show you new things that might encourage you to get more training (from them) since they have to be there anyways.

I took the SSI Nitrox class without the actual Nitrox dves....but I wish my instructor would have required dives. Yes, I know how to use the tables and I understand the concepts involved; however, I still don't feel comfortable using Nitrox for the first time on a boat with a lot of people around (I'm not sure I could use the tester by myself since I never actually got to use one). I would recommend that everyone take the dives if they are offered...that way you can get used to testing your mixture and using your EAN computer/tables in a real life situation.

IMHO, of course.

Yeah using the tester (or "A" tester) is helpfull. BUt dont feel bad ask the crew to help, there is no way you could be familiar w/ all O2 testers anyway. If you get your tanks filled at you dive shop ask them to test it in front of you.

I went through SSI. During the class we practiced with 2 testers and ran simulations given hypothetical dives. Later we did the dives, though they were combined with another course. The dives were useful, but make sure they are somewhere you wanted to dive anyway.

If the instructor is going to offer something other than handholding, go with the dives. Otherwise, go somewhere where it's not required. Learning to dive nitrox is dirt simple and, unless you think you will get something out of the dives themselves from a *good* instructor (or you just want to dive), it's pointless and a waste of money.

Personally, I think nitrox should be included in a basic OW class. It's not rocket science and it can greatly increase the safety of your dives.

If you go with the dives, you get the actual practice with analyzing the gas and diving on it. While you will really not tell a difference, the effect of having an increased bottom time and NDL time is fun. We did our dives in Catalina and the shop guy forgot to top off the tank with air. When we analyzed it, it was 96%!!! Kinda drives home the point of analyzing your gasses!

I took PADI cause that's what I had available.

Oh - and in reference to deep stops and nitrox not mixing, they certainly do. Example - We were diving 230fsw on 16/40 trimix and then our deep stop included switching over to 32% at 130fsw. Yes this is 1.6 atm but that is acceptable while hanging during decompression.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom