questions on sherwood maximus

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver0001:
In terms of reliability they're pretty much bullet-proof. In terms of breathing effort there are much better regulators on the market.

R..

Which regs breathe easier than the Maximus - that are in its price range? (I use an Atomic M1, easiest breather of all, but it cost more than his whole rig.)

BigboyDan:
Which regs breathe easier than the Maximus - that are in its price range? (I use an Atomic M1, easiest breather of all, but it cost more than his whole rig.)

For one the Titan LX Glacia. This is another reg I've used a lot (maybe 150 dives) and I can attest to the fact that it breathes easier and costs about $75 less on Leisure pro.

The Legend LX supreme is an altogether fantastic reg (I have about 250 dives on mine) and it costs about $25 more.

I used my Maximus intensively for a number of years and I believe it is a reliable reg but unfortunatly for Sherwood they're behind the performance curve, even when compared to regs of similar or in some cases lower price.

R..

BigboyDan:
Mares, Apeks, Scubapro....

jonnythan:
Mares, Apeks, Scubapro....

OK. The Maximus is a great reg, but, I"ll list some.

-- Maximus: $374 (Leisure Pro)
Piston 1st stage, adjustable 2nd, cold rated, moisture-retention, baffled-and-extended exhaust tee, cave and wreck rated; 5 LP, 2 HP.

-- Oceanic Zeta CDX5: $359 (LP)
Compact, easier breather than the Max, but with out the cold features .

-- US Divers Conshelf 14: #359 (LP)
Not as easy a breather than the Max, with out the cold features.

-- Aqualung Legend: $344 (LP)
Easier breather than the Max, but with out the cold features.

-- Apeks ATX100: $374 (LP)
Slightly easier breather than the Max, but with out the cold features.

-- Mares V32 Proton Ice $349 (LP)
Slightly easier breather, very similar to the Max.

-- Scubapro MK25/G250 $384 (LP)
About the same as the Max, but with out the cold features.

-- Poseidon Jetstream/Odin: $349 (LP)
Easier breather than the Max and cold rated.

-- Zeagle 50D/ZX Regulator $344 (LP)
About the same as the Max, but with out the cold features.

BigboyDan:
-- Apeks ATX100: $374 (LP)
Slightly easier breather than the Max, but with out the cold features.
Just FYI, the Apeks ATX100 is as cold water capable as the Maximus. It has an actual dry sealed first stage, unlike the constant air-bleed of the Maximus, and has a heat exchanger and everything. The ATX100 is among the most capable regulators out there.

jonnythan:
Just FYI, the Apeks ATX100 is as cold water capable as the Maximus. It has an actual dry sealed first stage, unlike the constant air-bleed of the Maximus, and has a heat exchanger and everything. The ATX100 is among the most capable regulators out there.

There is only a slight opinion difference here:

The Apex ATX100 1'st stage is an over-balanced diaphragm, the Max is a piston. The ATX100 has 4 LP ports, the Max has 5. The ATX100 has a dry-sealed system that is designed to PREVENT ice build-up, but the Max has proven to ME that it will work WHEN iced.

The ATX100 IS a great breathing regulator, though.

BigboyDan:
There is only a slight opinion difference here:

The Apex ATX100 1'st stage is an over-balanced diaphragm, the Max is a piston. The ATX100 has 4 LP ports, the Max has 5. The ATX100 has a dry-sealed system that is designed to PREVENT ice build-up, but the Max has proven to ME that it will work WHEN iced.

The ATX100 IS a great breathing regulator, though.
Your "Max" can have proven to YOU that it will dice potatoes, but that doesn't mean it has better coldwater perforamnce than the ATX100 :wink:

Frankly, who cares. You guys are getting into a childish "yes it do / no it don't" discussion.

FWIW I've never seen a Sherwood reg get frozen enough that the dive was over but I've seen it happen to the high end Apeks and Aqualung regs. Even ones with ice kits. You just need to be really careful on the surface with high performance regs in cold water. I think the fact that the Maximus is a bit stiff actually helps it in the cold. And just to be clear when I say cold I'm talking 0-4C. I dove with my Maximus in -2C water once without issue.

R..

jonnythan:
Your "Max" can have proven to YOU that it will dice potatoes, but that doesn't mean it has better coldwater perforamnce than the ATX100 :wink:

I agree with you. I only recommend the Max because I've used it. I do NOT discount the ATX100, at all, I just haven't used it yet in real cold water. I'm just internet comparing them. :)

Thanks for all the input folks I was not looking to start an all out debate on regs. I looked all the replys and appreciate the info. In my original post I mistakenly wrote less than $600.00 it should have been less than $500.00 $468.00 to be exact and in talking with the dealer today he will even include all service parts at no charge, and his annual service is $40.00, from what he has told me is that most manufacturors send the dealers the service parts at no charge so he is not going to sell them to his customers at an inflated price. Before this gets off on a debate again yes all the equipment is brand new 2005 models and yes he is an authorized dealer.

I have checked out the scubapros that many of you rave about but if any of you met the local dealer near me you would not even go there for a tank fill, everything is full price no negotiating. Same goes for the aqualung guy. Not to knock LP but I just feel that if safety is on the line I want to know to find the guy if need be.

I am by no means trying to be cheap about equipment but economics does tend to kick especially when the island of Guam is calling for a return visit, this time for vacation.

Thanks again for all the info. Largobum

Time spent diving is not deducted from ones lifespan.

Back
Top Bottom