questions on sherwood maximus

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Help me out here while you're all on the bandwagon.

My wife and I are going to be gearing up in the next few monts. Our LDS is mainly Sherwood and suggested the Blizzard, from what I read the Maximus is the same with a few more bells and whisltles that I like the sound of.

The odds of test diving the Blizzard, Maximus and higher end Apex units are probably slim since most of the rental gear I've seen is blore along the lines of the Sherwood Brute. Keep in mind I'm in Maine and the dive community is not as big or wealthy as in some other parts. The LDS is 2 minutes down the road from my home and it's the only one in our coastal county!

So for recreational diving how significant is this breathing ease? I see us doing a lot of shallow shore dives 20-40"? We are going to go for AOW deep for occasional boat dives here and I hope winter trips to warmer waters. We are planning to dive year round or at least nearly so locally and I at least want to take a stab at ice diving.

Are we splitting hairs in this range or are we talking about very deep / extended techical dives when this becomes significant?

Thanks for any perspective, this forum is awesome.

Pete

Yeah, we're splitting hairs. We're talking about similar regs in the same basic price range and we got on the cold water thing beacuse it's an added feature that Northern American divers should consider (origional poster is fom Connecticut). The Blizzard is a workhorse... all regs mentioned work great in warmer weather too.

spectrum:
Help me out here while you're all on the bandwagon.

My wife and I are going to be gearing up in the next few monts. Our LDS is mainly Sherwood and suggested the Blizzard, from what I read the Maximus is the same with a few more bells and whisltles that I like the sound of.

The odds of test diving the Blizzard, Maximus and higher end Apex units are probably slim since most of the rental gear I've seen is blore along the lines of the Sherwood Brute. Keep in mind I'm in Maine and the dive community is not as big or wealthy as in some other parts. The LDS is 2 minutes down the road from my home and it's the only one in our coastal county!

So for recreational diving how significant is this breathing ease? I see us doing a lot of shallow shore dives 20-40"? We are going to go for AOW deep for occasional boat dives here and I hope winter trips to warmer waters. We are planning to dive year round or at least nearly so locally and I at least want to take a stab at ice diving.

Are we splitting hairs in this range or are we talking about very deep / extended techical dives when this becomes significant?

Thanks for any perspective, this forum is awesome.

Pete

For the kind of diving you're planning on doing we're splitting hairs. I think you should buy what your LDS sells because it will simplify after sales service. If you can choose between the Maximus and the Brut then take the Maximus. It has an external cracking adjuster that you can open up a little as you go deeper. The difference in breathing effort is noticable if you do a "taste test" type of test but it's also a matter of getting used to it. I've never had the Maximus deeper than about 40 metres but it was ok at that depth.

R..

Buy the maximus, in Wisconsin here, we spend more time in cold water than warm, and since we dive all year... under the ice too.. I run 2 maxi's, and I also use a full face mask (ocean reef) with the maxi stuffed into it. I LOVE IT. easy to work on, bulletproof is not even the best word for it... I'd say more like anti-armor piercing :)

are there better regs ??? sure, are there worse onese ??? sure.... if your local shop is Sherwood... Maxi is the best bang for buck you will find.

Back
Top Bottom