quicktime of me

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lamont:
Yeah, that's also my price for working in NYC. After it gets triple taxed (federal, NY state, NYC) and factoring in property costs, that isn't that much...

Looking at your "Gear ToDo List" it really isn't that much. :wink:

I can add "setup traffic queueing with the ALTQ implementation of CBQ and RED using pf on FreeBSD 5.3" to my resume -- and that's just so I can play battlefield vietnam at the same time as someone is downloading those movies...

And I'm hitting the point where the gear-expense curve is getting pretty steep...

I was rather amused by "Britney's Guide to Semiconductor Physics".

otherwise, your site is definitely getting pounded ... i tried to watch one of the vids, and after about one minute, I realized it had ony downloaded 297KB of the file ... :)

darn diving / tech geeks !

IslandHopper:
I was rather amused by "Britney's Guide to Semiconductor Physics".

i love that site =)

otherwise, your site is definitely getting pounded ... i tried to watch one of the vids, and after about one minute, I realized it had ony downloaded 297KB of the file ... :)

darn diving / tech geeks !

really its my upload speed that sucks. i've got ADSL (asymmetric DSL) so its something like 1.5Mbs down and 384Kbs up, and i just throttled that rate down to 200Kbs for http traffic so that I have some guaranteed bandwidth for ssh, web-surfing, VPN, battlefield vietnam, etc...

Trying to avoid the geekspeak hijack from bringing back nightmares of my first project with my company; porting a kerberos package to VMS and integrating into our telnet server....

...Now that you have backwards kicks down; revisit your helicopter. Primary kick for a left helicopter should be a left leg backwards kick, followed by a right frog. alternating backwards and frog makes it smoother; but just the backwards kick'll do the job. If you just frog it you'll either end up doing donuts; or you'll just be making it harder on yourself to stay on your pivot point.

Spectre:
Trying to avoid the geekspeak hijack from bringing back nightmares of my first project with my company; porting a kerberos package to VMS and integrating into our telnet server....

Wow, that's like a trifecta of a nightmare...

...Now that you have backwards kicks down; revisit your helicopter. Primary kick for a left helicopter should be a left leg backwards kick, followed by a right frog. alternating backwards and frog makes it smoother; but just the backwards kick'll do the job. If you just frog it you'll either end up doing donuts; or you'll just be making it harder on yourself to stay on your pivot point.

Yeah, there's something wrong with the back-kick half of my helicopter kicks. I am actually trying to do that part, but its not very effective. You can also see if you look closely where I'm twisting my torso, which is just some sloppiness that I've picked up...

I also wouldn't exactly say I've got the back-kick "down" -- i've just achieved backwards motion, it needs work... =)

So, this thread really got distracted by all the kerberos and bandwidth throttling geek wankeritude which is entirely my fault, and something may have gotten lost here...

The point is that we took a c-5050 camera out with an U/W housing and a 1GB CF card (about $1000 of investment, and I'm sure someone could figure out a way to do it with an even cheaper camera setup -- and as it is i had almost an hour worth of storage and we didn't ever have more than about 5 mins of footage in the camera at a time) and managed to get some really useful feedback and made some progress. On the plus side I was pretty happy with how trimmed and generally squared away in terms of equipment and not flailing around that I was -- particularly compared to the video feedback when I took the DIRF course. On the more constructive criticism side, the deficiencies in my helicopter kick (the 2nd and 3rd quicktime movies i put up) are kind of readily apparently. I knew something felt wrong about it when I'd been doing it, but the video feedback makes it apparent that it isn't right just like spectre noticed. When it comes to back-kicks, the video feedback really helped me figure out that I was pointing my fins up and extending them and winding up doing a headstand, which helped me level it out. Focusing on levelling out my fins, extending them together and then flairing them and pulling back it made it actually work, even if its not pretty yet. My buddy was also working on his backwards kick and we got some good footage of how he wasn't flairing his fins right and just wasn't getting a lot of traction, and I think he spotted a few other issues he was having with it.

One thing that was kind of useful is that we'd go down to 10 fsw and do some stuff and take some video and then surface and then just play it back at the surface and go back down, which gave some really immediate feedback. We didn't necessarily have to wait to get out of the water and get the equipment off before reviewing the video. That can really help the feedback loop. I know that I went down at one point and did a bunch of back-kicking and we came up and I reviewed it and it was all bad with me doing headstands, and then we just dropped down and I started fixing that part and it started working... I think the immediacy of feedback can help sometimes. Just surfacing and showing someone that *this* is what you're doing, stop doing *that*, and then going back down can really help make some skills gains... Even with a DIRF class you only review the video after the day is over and you don't get to try to make changes until the next day or the next time you go diving...

So, in summary, I think I'm a big fan of just going out and doing a skills dive with a basic U/W camera in video mode. We didn't even do it in optimal conditions. The sun was out and we kept it shallow, but the viz still wasn't too great. And neither of us really knew what we were doing with the camera. It worked really good though.

So, that is why I posted this thread in the DIR section. You don't have to wait for the next GUE course you take to get more video feedback...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom