Random (but targeted) thoughts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Unfortunately, it appears that this attitude is a general bleed-over from the rest of society... to much of the 'it's your job to watch out for me' kind of attitude instead of being responsible for ones self. I was raised (and trained) that it is MY responsibility to look after myself, not to be someone else s problem all the time.

Some of the experiences above is why several years ago I, along with a few of my friends, started taking dive trips together so we could know the folks on our boat. What started out as a group of 6 to 8 has now turned into a group of 20 to 25 folks who all enjoy each others company and we know that everyone in the group are pretty good and responsible divers. It makes for a much better vacation when you don't have to deal with an A$$ Clown on the boat.

Reactions: Jax
Unfortunately, it appears that this attitude is a general bleed-over from the rest of society... to much of the 'it's your job to watch out for me' kind of attitude instead of being responsible for ones self.

One of the I/DMs (taught my daughter on this trip) told me of a diver last week who had asked him to keep "close eye on me today." When asked why, she replied she had had a "asthma attack last night but was feeling better today." He said he benched her (for which she was upset about) :shakehead:

Sometimes, I just don't get folks.........:idk:

Last edited:
As a fellow ER doc, I empathize.

I don't do a lot of diving off resort boats, but we did do a trip through the South Pacific a couple of years ago. I was dumbfounded to see NO ONE on any of the boats doing a dive plan or a buddy check, and in fact, we were SCOLDED by an instructor on one of the boats for doing it (no, there was no urgency to get in the water at that site). Too many people don't take the whole business of being dozens of feet underwater seriously, until something happens like the recent double fatality in Florida.

I would add to your list: If you don't dive often, do a refresher or warmup in a pool, and run through your emergency procedures before your trip. Things you haven't thought about in years are not going to be in the forefront of your mind if you have a problem.

Learn something about gas management, other than "be back on the boat with 500 psi".

Have a dive plan. It doesn't have to be complicated, but it should be more than "jump in the water and swim around until the computer tells me to come up".

I would add to your list: If you don't dive often, do a refresher or warmup in a pool, and run through your emergency procedures before your trip. Things you haven't thought about in years are not going to be in the forefront of your mind if you have a problem.

Lynn,

Quite agree.

To my daughter's chagrin (less so as she matures), I am a stickler for safety. Having spent 30+ years in EMS (various forms, now in ED) and a wife in ICU nursing 30+ years - she didn't stand a chance :wink:

Each year, beginning of summer dive season, we spend 2-3 hours in quarry/pool/lake/wherever we can find just going over basic skills. She is REQUIRED to demonstrate basic skills, i.e. mask clearing/removing/replacing, shooting a SMB at safety stop, sharing air, swimming while breathing her octopus and AIR II, etc.

I noticed this year that she is practicing helicopter turns, frog kicks, etc. on her own.

Now, things are becoming second-nature and I have noticed her taking more initiative and doing her pre-dive checks regardless who she is with. Even to the point of me "arguing the absurd" with her, forcing her to think through her responses and defending her thoughts/actions.

In another time, this might be considered a "mentor".

I would encourage EVERYONE to work the basics (since everything is based off). One of the incidents listed in the Accident forum (~ couple of months ago maybe??) dealt with a diver who jumped in over-weighted with air OFF (IIRC). BASICS FOLKS!

As I told a neurosurgeon who was upset that I "screwed up his neurological assessment" when I chemically paralyzed a trauma victim to gain an airway, "If I didn't get a good airway, you wouldn't have to worry about your neurological assessment!" BASICS FOLKS!!

Practice does NOT make perfect! PERFECT PRACTICE MAKES PERFECT!

My planning (recreational) tends to be a 1:1 (plan-dive) ratio.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jax
Alas, I fear that the scuba marketing folks share a large portion of the blame for the lack of basic respect for diving from the typical vacation-only diver.

They see nothing but shiny, happy people in the magazines and in agency manuals and videos. "It's so easy, your grandmother can do it!"

Sure scuba is relatively safe, BUT ONLY IF YOU DO IT RIGHT.

The major agencies appear to have swept the later part of the safety equation under the rug. People need to be told that if they screw up (or around), they may die.

---
- Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's what every one of my students gets told on the first night of class. I've been told that I might scare someone away doing that. Haven't so far. It is almost to the point where you just wish some of these people would quit or at least have the decency to do their stupid stuff where it won't mess up my dive.

I like the "do this skill so you won't end up dead" approach rather than the "because it's FUN" one. Too many of these "it's fun" divers ending up hurt, dead, or having the crap scared out of them.

Yeah, god forbid anyone would want to dive because it's fun.

I'm really confused why anyone would want to dunk their weightbelt in a rinse bucket of any kind? Someone explain that please.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom