Random (but targeted) thoughts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't know, but I have seen people very carefully wash their soft weights. I'm not sure what they are worried will happen to them if they don't.

It's what every one of my students gets told on the first night of class. I've been told that I might scare someone away doing that. Haven't so far. It is almost to the point where you just wish some of these people would quit or at least have the decency to do their stupid stuff where it won't mess up my dive.

I like the "do this skill so you won't end up dead" approach rather than the "because it's FUN" one. Too many of these "it's fun" divers ending up hurt, dead, or having the crap scared out of them.

Right, you are, Jim

When I was a Scoutmaster, we would have trips (such as backcountry winter snow camping) where if you didn't do things right, you could die. I knew that and I made damned sure the boys knew that. Scared some parents, but not one boy was put off by this knowledge. Rather, they paid attention and excelled. In fact, they had a greater sense of accomplishment and confidence BECAUSE they understood the reality of their undertaking.

We used to have a saying. "In the outdoors, there are no rules. Just consequences."

---
- Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If T&C is short for Turks & Caicos you most likely got on a boat with sometime divers. This type of diver is a walking nightmare.
Not necessarily ... I've met some vacation-only divers who are fine to dive with. They may not have extensively honed skills, but they are consciencious, listen, and make an honest effort to be a good dive buddy. It's not so much an issue of how often you dive ... more about the attitude they use to approach it.

Unfortunately, it appears that this attitude is a general bleed-over from the rest of society... to much of the 'it's your job to watch out for me' kind of attitude instead of being responsible for ones self.

I think what we really need to do is just let Darwin drain the shallow end of the gene pool.

Alas, I fear that the scuba marketing folks share a large portion of the blame for the lack of basic respect for diving from the typical vacation-only diver.

They see nothing but shiny, happy people in the magazines and in agency manuals and videos. "It's so easy, your grandmother can do it!"

Sure scuba is relatively safe, BUT ONLY IF YOU DO IT RIGHT.

The major agencies appear to have swept the later part of the safety equation under the rug. People need to be told that if they screw up (or around), they may die.

Even DAN's jumped onto that bandwagon ... Alert Diver is pretty much a travel and vacation magazine anymore.

Yeah, god forbid anyone would want to dive because it's fun.

... drowning's not much fun ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I don't know, but I have seen people very carefully wash their soft weights. I'm not sure what they are worried will happen to them if they don't.

I do it because I don't want the salt water draining all over my stuff.

But in the camera rinse bucket? Just thinking of that cloud of lead dust and water pouring out of my soft weights, and my camera is screaming.

Reactions: Jax
But in the camera rinse bucket? Just thinking of that cloud of lead dust and water pouring out of my soft weights, and my camera is screaming.

Oh, HELL, No! I just meant I carefully rinse my weights, but not at anyone's buckets. I am quite forward when someone tries to put crap in the camera bucket, as my measly photo gear is in there, as well.

I'm really confused why anyone would want to dunk their weightbelt in a rinse bucket of any kind? Someone explain that please.

About the last piece of gear I think about rinsing if I think about it at all.

I'm sure my weights never get rinsed.

Oh well...I was on a day trip at Looe key a few years ago, a gal who was probably in her 50s decked out in brand new ScubaPro gear was diving with her daughter. She couldn't figure out how to set up her kit. Captain did it for her after she whined. Then she couldn't stand with her kit on. This went on for a while, you get the picture. I couldn't help but watch this unfold and she looked over and caught me. She said, "I know you all don't think I know what I'm doing" kind of sassy-like. I said, " I just hope you don't die today". She looked shocked, everyone else nodded.

Max depth at this site: 20 ft.

**sigh**

We used to have a saying. "In the outdoors, there are no rules. Just consequences."

I like that; and will shamelessly use it as though it were my own :)

Not too long ago there was a thread in which the phrase "there are divers, and there are those who occasionally go diving" was used. That thought has stayed with me and I have been filtering a lot of recent discussions within its context. It seems to explain a lot of things that would otherwise make you go :idk:

I have to admit though, the op I normally go with rarely has knuckleheads on board. Or I just don't pay attention anymore......

Wait...Yea, I remember a few months ago 2 young guys jumped in the big blue, one couldn't descend and couldn't figure out why. He dove down kicking wildly at the surface, and bobbed like a cork upside down. He couldn't figure out how to deflate......They pulled his a$$ back in the boat. Yep.......

Disregard first sentence.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom