Random (but targeted) thoughts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I work in the vacation dive destination business (here on lovely Oahu) and I get to see stupid stuff all the time (typical MO out here is a dive shop gets seats on a boat as do several other shops). The one group of people who scare the beejesus out of me are the once a decade divers who still think they know how to dive. Most people I encounter are either proficient divers (<5%) or they ask a lot of questions, listen well to briefings and generally are hassle free to take diving. The ones I have to watch out for are the people who ignore briefings, aren't sure how to set up there kit but try and hide the fact, and have enough stuff hanging off them to rival a Christmas tree. These are the yahoos who blow off deco, descend like mud-darts and ascend like Polaris missiles. For the most part these people are diving with other operations, so I get to sit back and watch the awe-inducing stupid unfold.

Michael

The ones I have to watch out for are the people who ignore briefings, aren't sure how to set up there kit but try and hide the fact, and have enough stuff hanging off them to rival a Christmas tree.

Michael

Looks like I may have just hit the jackpot!!! One of the older guys (French, if I understood the language at all) had a knife strapped to his L inner calf. Hadn't seen one of those in over 20 years (yes, I have one from the early 80s, but I havent worn it since then either :wink: )

After reading all the replies, I realize how sheltered I've really been and just use it as a teachable moment with my daughter - HOW NOT TO SCUBA! :no:

What's wrong with strapping a knife to ones left inner calf? I do it quite often.

"That's not a knife, this is a knife."

Bowie_Knife_by_Tim_Lively_16.jpg

Dale I don't think there is anything wrong with strapping a knife to your inner calf. I think wtcreaux is just giving us a mental picture. Do you dive vintage? I'm jealous, I have yet to find a DH regulator I can afford (or afford to have shipped to Hawaii). I used to strap to the inside of my calf ('cause that's what I saw Cousteau do) and switched to left upper arm, and now I keep a Spyderco Atlantic folder clipped in to my scuba short's pocket. I've yet to use my knife for anything but cutting line so I decided to eliminate the possibility I'd drop one.

Michael

What's wrong with strapping a knife to ones left inner calf? I do it quite often.

No dis meant. :D

But applying my comment to my original post, it just struck me as odd. :wink:

We were diving open ocean, on a reef/wall. Yes, I carry a cutting instrument (line cutter) on my R chest strap (can be reached by either hand).

Again, no dis intended........

Around here we just say "You can't fix stupid."

What I learned was this

"You can fix ugly
But you can't fix stupid"

heh

Last time I went out on a boat here in PC, There were a few divers who looked rough putting rental gear together. As I was slowly descending the line, they both hit bottom....I had been in the water way before them. (80 ft depth) Then at the end of the dive as I was slowly making my way to the safety stop at 15 ft, They both rocketed to the surface from the bottom....On the boat I asked the one closest to me about his computer...I asked if it had warned about the rapid ascent??? He looked at me and said "what computer???" the DM cringed:idk: all I could do.. to keep a straight face and say "weelll the one that was screaming at cha!!!"I could hear it as they went by!!!

I do it because I don't want the salt water draining all over my stuff.

After you get off the boat I presume. :wink: This guy is from France, slim chance that he brought his weights with him. I'm guessing 99% that they were hard. I'm just saying that this part of the OP's story sounds fishy to me.

True statement, Sounds like there a chamber ride waiting on somebody

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom