Random (but targeted) thoughts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was dumbfounded to see NO ONE on any of the boats doing a dive plan or a buddy check.

Learn something about gas management, other than "be back on the boat with 500 psi".

Have a dive plan. It doesn't have to be complicated, but it should be more than "jump in the water and swim around until the computer tells me to come up".

This is the real problem. I'd bet that most on that boat don't have the knowledge to run through a dive or gas plan. That means they lack an understanding of dive science and its risks. Sadly, most of the major agencies encourage this type of behavior. Regardless of their written training materials, many resort certification factories have people jump in, swim around until their air gets low, and then get back on the boat. Do this 4-5 times and you get a new cert card mailed to you.

Just an anecdote: I dove with a "reputable" PADI diveshop in Roatan where the divemaster told us that it was OK to get back to the boat with 200 psi.

Turks and Caicos.

The woman who wanted a dive computer was from France. Her husband (?) was the one who tried to dunk his weightbelt.

The woman who was SDI-trained (her words) was from the US.

One of the women talking during the boat briefing was from New Jersey.

It was good to see a father-daughter team discussing and doing things on-purpose. She (~16) handled herself well, both on the boat and in the water, and came up smiling every time.

"One of the women talking during the boat briefing was from New Jersey." Back-off Yo :D"

After you get off the boat I presume. :wink: This guy is from France, slim chance that he brought his weights with him. I'm guessing 99% that they were hard.

Nope.....soft pouches......part of the trip (includes tank and weights (soft) for either integrated or belt (also included if needed)

I too work in EMS. Our saying is "stupid ought to hurt". The only problem is, stupid on the first dive by one knucklehead can cost you the rest of your dive day too. That's the part that really chaps my...well, you get the picture. Here's to booking a 6 pack with 5 divers you trust.

Nope.....soft pouches......part of the trip (includes tank and weights (soft) for either integrated or belt (also included if needed)

That explains the need to rinse. Or perhaps it's just a French thing. "Le lavage des poids". Mon erreur.

Dale I don't think there is anything wrong with strapping a knife to your inner calf. I think wtcreaux is just giving us a mental picture. Do you dive vintage? I'm jealous, I have yet to find a DH regulator I can afford (or afford to have shipped to Hawaii). I used to strap to the inside of my calf ('cause that's what I saw Cousteau do) and switched to left upper arm, and now I keep a Spyderco Atlantic folder clipped in to my scuba short's pocket. I've yet to use my knife for anything but cutting line so I decided to eliminate the possibility I'd drop one.

Michael

I have to giggle at this, cause us vintage geeks tend to strap large weapons to our calves. I am currently stapping a claymore on just in case of enemy divers approach. I'll definitely have the upper hand. And in true vintage fashion, it's from the 60's (the 1360's).

Trust me, DaleC wasn't offended (I don't think) he has a great sense of humor. :D

Lisa

Reactions: Jax
I have few regrets about my time on submarines, but if I'd been diving more at the time I think I would have liberated several of the old school Navy dive knives that you screw in to the brass sheath. We had piles of them laying around at one point.

Michael

As a holiday diver i tend to read up, go through thing's in my mind like bangcock women R all fella's and go through the kit set up. Basicaly churn it over in my head ; come to scubaboard and read the forum ; but i have forgot things like me lead lol; not going down is not diving

Anyway i think some of the blame must go with the opperators for even letting these people enter the water; and i would hope some one who knew better than me would put me on the right track not just watch me die; if you see it report it stop it before it happens if you can

I would love dive all the time hone my skill's be a better buddy ; I need cash got any ?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom