Reasoning for corrugated hose length

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cerich:
what makes you say that JJ came up with the short inflator hose??? LOL

Hey....if Al Gore can invent the internet.....

Of course he didn't come up with it. But he was one of the first to explain the "why" to the general public. For that, at least, he deserves due credit.

R..

Diver0001:
Hey....if Al Gore can invent the internet.....

Of course he didn't come up with it. But he was one of the first to explain the "why" to the general public. For that, at least, he deserves due credit.

R..

Yeah him and Trey, JJ did it nicer however...

cerich:
what makes you say that JJ came up with the short inflator hose??? LOL

It's beyond me how anyone can think that:

"I'm sure JJ had some specific situation in mind when he came up with this requirement for the corrugated hose length"

=

"JJ came up with the short inflator hose"

:confused: :confused:

cerich:
Yeah him and Trey, JJ did it nicer however...

Yeah.... In the big scheme of things, I think Trey did as much to delay progress as he did to push it. He certainly deserves credit for the pushing but there was a lot of "shoving" going on too and it's taken us years to get past that. There are still people out there who think "GI" means "God Incarnate". He's like the frustrated father who can't understand why the kids don't just do what he says.... (in that sense I can somehow understand him.... :wink:)

R..

TSandM:
Hands free ear clearing is anatomy dependent. I cannot do it. I wish I could (and I've tried all the described techniques I could find) because it would reduce task loading on descent a ton.
I must apologize, I thought most folks were familiar with this, but then I can see this may just be something that just the commercial and research divers know about. It's one of the first things that you master with most full face masks (esp. Band Masks) or Helmets.

There are equipment supported methods for those who can't not manage the, "use the force Luke" approach to ear clearing. Here are two: one is to wear a loose set of nose plugs. Gentle exhalation will go past, but more forceful exhalation will raise the pressure in the pharynx and equalize (you MUST stay well ahead of the need, even the slightest edema around the Eustachian tubes will prevent this.). Another approach (the one I use for those days that I can't "use the force") is to build up a neoprene nose block in the nose pocket of my mask, My nostrils are complete occluded by the block and if I exhale gently the air goes by, but if I exhale more forcefully (or push my nose, well the nose pocket of the mask) against anything (forearm, instrument housing, back of my hand, etc.) I can close off my nostrils and equalize. Again, stay ahead of the need, try and keep slight positive pressure in your pharynx all the way down.

I can sorta clear my ears hands free, not reliably at least. But I would not put a peice of neoprene in my mask, having to remove my mask to deal with it if it were to come loose would be a pita. And would likely happen at a bad time knowing Murphy.

rjack321:
I can sorta clear my ears hands free, not reliably at least. But I would not put a peice of neoprene in my mask, having to remove my mask to deal with it if it were to come loose would be a pita. And would likely happen at a bad time knowing Murphy.
40 years and I never had one come loose. Even if it did, you take your mask off and a piece of neoprene perhaps 1/2 x 1 inch floats away. This is an easy solution to a non-existent problem. And considering that otherwise you might have to use your hands to clear?

Forgot to mention: If you have the right mask, (e.g., Swimaster WideView) than a tiny bit of mask squeeze will seal your nose and the exhale does double duty, no mask squeeze and clear ears.

Thalassamania:
Another approach (the one I use for those days that I can't "use the force") is to build up a neoprene nose block in the nose pocket of my mask, My nostrils are complete occluded by the block and if I exhale gently the air goes by, but if I exhale more forcefully (or push my nose, well the nose pocket of the mask) against anything (forearm, instrument housing, back of my hand, etc.) I can close off my nostrils and equalize. Again, stay ahead of the need, try and keep slight positive pressure in your pharynx all the way down.

That sounds like a good idea. Do you glue it to the bottom of the nose pocket or how do you get it to stay there when you take the mask off or clear it? It sounds fairly straightforward, but just in case, do you happen to have a pic? Any drawbacks to using one?

*Floater*:
That sounds like a good idea. Do you glue it to the bottom of the nose pocket or how do you get it to stay there when you take the mask off or clear it? It sounds fairly straightforward, but just in case, do you happen to have a pic? Any drawbacks to using one?

it's an interesting idea but it sounds decidedly out of place in a DIR thread to me... Nothing minimalist about it....

R..

Thalassamania:
It's one of the first things that you master with most full face masks (esp. Band Masks) or Helmets.
Since none of these are DIR I see no need for such solutions :wink: at least in this forum. However, some people can done it without any additional tool especialy when descending slowly.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom