Reasoning for corrugated hose length

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver0001:
it's an interesting idea but it sounds decidedly out of place in a DIR thread to me... Nothing minimalist about it....

R..
Being able to clear your ears while using your hands are occupied with a scoot, a camera, your wings and/or your suit, is most definitely minimalist and, to my way of thinking, something to be desired by any thinking diver. Ask JJ, I'm sure he'd agree.

But I’ll start a new thread elsewhere.

Diver0001:
it's an interesting idea but it sounds decidedly out of place in a DIR thread to me... Nothing minimalist about it....

R..

I think you are taking minimalism a little too far here. We are just talking about a small piece of neoprene after all. Should I shave my eyebrows also to be more minimalist? Now if it has some drawbacks, then that a different matter.

Ok, listen guys I don't want to start anything here. I just think that sticking bits of neoprene up your nose before the dive doesn't sound like something the DIR masters are likely to see as a brilliant addition to the DIR portfolio.

That's not to say that it doesn't work or that there is no application for it....just that I don't think that the DIR superstars are going to get in line to buy it.

R..

Diver0001:
Ok, listen guys I don't want to start anything here. I just think that sticking bits of neoprene up your nose before the dive doesn't sound like something the DIR masters are likely to see as a brilliant addition to the DIR portfolio.

That's not to say that it doesn't work or that there is no application for it....just that I don't think that the DIR superstars are going to get in line to buy it.

R..
No one suggested that you stick it up your nose, but if that's where you want it, feel free.

If that's not where you want it, go back and read the posts so that you comprehend the suggestion. If after re-reading you still don't understand, feel free to ask questions. Once you get the concept, e-mail JJ to ask his permission to glue a 1/2 inch by 1 inch piece of neoprene in the nose pocket of your mask so that you can avoid blowing out your eardrums when you are tasked loaded and your hands are full.

Oh, I see.

I have no idea what JJ would say to this. Given that DIR consists largely of resue of best practices and that this idea is unconventional I suspect that he'd be skeptical at best. For my part I'd be willing to give it a go just because I'm curious enough to try anything once.

R..

There are at least two "hands-free" methods of equalizing:
  • The Frenzel Maneuver uses the tongue as a piston to force air back into the throat and increase pressure in the Eustachian Tubes.

• The Toynbee Maneuver involves yawning and/or swallowing to increase air pressure in the back of the throat (and by extension, the Eustachian Tubes).
The problem with these from a "teaching" standpoint is that it's impossible to demonstrate the mechanics of what to do, like you can with propulsion techniques and air sharing exercises. You can explain what you are doing, but there's really no way to show it - either the student "gets it", or they don't.

I am actually fairly adept at both of these, but I still occasionally use the Valsalva Maneuver - usually during rapid descents, when I can't keep up with changing ambient pressure any other way.

Since Thalassamania was the one who raised the issue of teaching alternative equalization techniques, and he identifies himself as a "Scuba Instructor", I'd be interested to hear how he himself teaches this to his own students. Note that this is a serious question - I'm sure a lot of us would like to know how to do it better (or possibly at all :)).

Thalassamania:
Fattah's piece is excellent as is: PREVENTION OF MIDDLE EAR BAROTRAUMA
Interesting - I can also equalize via Voluntary Tubal Opening, but never knew that technique had a name. Thanks for the links!

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom