Reasoning for corrugated hose length

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

*Floater*

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
According to JJ's DIRF book the corrugated hose "should be just long enough to allow for ear clearing and potential dry suit inflation while actuating inflator, but not so long that it drags or entangles easily."

I asked about this recently in another thread and was told that you need the left hand for clearing and inflation since the right hand is holding the scooter. However, I still don't see why you cannot just first clear your ears or inflate the drysuit and then inflate the BC or vice versa. I prefer to do one thing at a time, and clearing while holding onto and pressing the power inflator button just seems unnecessarily complicated to me. Also I cannot imagine a situation in which you absolutely need to inflate both the BC and the drysuit simultaneously rather than a few second apart.

So why is it important to be able to clear the ears and inflate the wing at the same time or to inflate both the wing and drysuit simultaneously? Is this something the scooter divers here do a lot? Have you ever needed to do it? How big of an advantage do you find it to be?

Just curious.

P.S. For the purposes of this question please assume the wing LP hose is long enough to reach the drysuit inflator if needed, and that you cannot for some reason clear the ears without using your hand.

just do it how you think it works for you... (use common sense). The most important part is that the hose is not too long as to drag on the floor... I don't know about other wings, but the Halcyon wings got the length perfectly., so I never even had to think about this topic.

It's easy to inflate both at the same time, seldom will you need to.

Just be aware if diving in real cold, esp. with singles inflating the bladder and your suit while breathing may freeze the regulator (freeze as in ice)

I just had my first scooter experience in Monterey a couple of weeks ago, and it's amazing what you discover you might want to simultaneously do with your left hand. :D

As we all know, the biggest advantage of the shorter hose length is how little movement is necessary to vent. Longer hose length means you need to get the end way up to get it above the wing and vent. Short hose just takes a little twist up and it's venting.

But I'll have to try venting and clearing my ears simultaneously (with lighthead in hand) on my next dive just for fun. :D

Rick Inman:
As we all know, the biggest advantage of the shorter hose length is how little movement is necessary to vent. Longer hose length means you need to get the end way up to get it above the wing and vent. Short hose just takes a little twist up and it's venting.

But Rick don't you primarily vent out of your butt dump? :)

Another good reason for a shorter length hose is when carrying stages and/or deco bottles.
If the corrugated hose is too long, it tends to get in the way.

Had to switch out my Dive-wrong wing's hose for that reason, and I found it made a world of difference.

I am actually changing out my corrugated on my OMS wing. Do the zip ties that attach the hose to the BC and the inflator special or are they just homedopot ones. I would rather ask a stupid now than find out the wrong way.

Boomer7:
I am actually changing out my corrugated on my OMS wing. Do the zip ties that attach the hose to the BC and the inflator special or are they just homedopot ones. I would rather ask a stupid now than find out the wrong way.

Loosing your corrigated hose is a bad thing. We use Thomas and Betts ties with the Stainless Steel locking tab. Two on each end of the hose. These ties are expensive, but they are the best and most reliable. You can usually find them at Electrical wholesale house.

Tobin

*Floater*:
According to JJ's DIRF book the corrugated hose "should be just long enough to allow for ear clearing and potential dry suit inflation while actuating inflator, but not so long that it drags or entangles easily."

I asked about this recently in another thread and was told that you need the left hand for clearing and inflation since the right hand is holding the scooter. However, I still don't see why you cannot just first clear your ears or inflate the drysuit and then inflate the BC or vice versa. I prefer to do one thing at a time, and clearing while holding onto and pressing the power inflator button just seems unnecessarily complicated to me. Also I cannot imagine a situation in which you absolutely need to inflate both the BC and the drysuit simultaneously rather than a few second apart.

So why is it important to be able to clear the ears and inflate the wing at the same time or to inflate both the wing and drysuit simultaneously? Is this something the scooter divers here do a lot? Have you ever needed to do it? How big of an advantage do you find it to be?

Just curious.

P.S. For the purposes of this question please assume the wing LP hose is long enough to reach the drysuit inflator if needed, and that you cannot for some reason clear the ears without using your hand.

I read it differently. To me he's not saying that you necessarily need to do these things all simultaneously, to me he's saying "you don't let go of the inflator when scootering".

There's a bit of context to this too. If it's too long it's going to be in the way of the stages and/or be susceptible to damage by getting trapped between the stages. Also, somewhere else he says that he mostly dumps his BCD with the butt valve. That makes sense if you're carring a truck load of gear and diving in cramped spaces so I would assume that he doesn't see a need to hold it over the head for easy dumping.

R..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom