recommendation needed for dive shops/locations near Adelaide (South Australia)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah. Two things on my bucket list are Leaffies and the Cuttlefish aggregations site... one day... :)

Didn't spot any leafies on my two dives in leafy hotspots, sadly.

I didn't mind as I had the Hobart to look forward to. Drove to Wirrina Cove, paid for a night in a caravan park, geared up, went out on the boat. Skipper cancels the dive as soon as he gets into the mooring area because it was too choppy. They really should have called the dive days before, there were big winds forecast but they thought they'd somehow squeeze in two dives before it hit. Can't recommend Underwater Sports at all.

Sorry to hear that. Very frustrating. I am not much into wrecks it is the Leaffies I want to see.. that will be the purpose of the trip when I go. I actually refer shore dives where we have more control over entry exits dive times etc. but I know there aren't good shore or pier dive site options everywhere.

... (why they keep mixing their capital cities is beyond me)).

Hi Phlegm,

I feel there is a need to respond to your comment. The reason why the names of ships do not line up with the respective capital cities (apart from, say, the Ex-HMAS Brisbane scuttled off the Sunshine Coast and possibly the two ships scuttled in WA) is that the ships were progressively decommissioned over a period of about 10 to 15 years, and were offered individually to community organizations for reuse. The ship were subsequently granted to the governments of the states from where the best bids for re-use were received rather on a purely geographical basis. As there are only six ships (i.e. Swan, Perth, Hobart, Brisbane, Canberra and Adelaide), I would not think there is an issue, particularly it is unlikely for any additional decommissioned RAN vessels to be scuttled in a similar manner. This is because the Australian Government could sell vessels for scrap while giving them away for use as dive sites means it has to fund the substantial cost of cleaning up of a vessel to remove toxic materials et al as well as accepting some risk of it becoming liable for future claims re pollution etc.

If you would like to see links to various South Australian Dive Sites then please feel free to have a look at ScubaCrave (OzDiverDown) www.youtube.com/ozdiverdown/videos A number of the sites, including the South Australian (Glenelg Dredge) and Glenelg Barge, Lumb, Seawolf, Port Stanvac Barges, Saurian wrecks are all accessible from dive shop charters. You may also be able to link in with dive clubs. Port Noarlunga and Rapid Bay are easy do it yourself shore dives, or you may seek a shop out for guides. South Australia has a Lot on offer, and offers some of the best temperate water diving and critters that the Southern Ocean has to offer. All the Best, and hope to hear you having a great dive time in SA. Ciao

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom