Reg. Stow or carry on?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had a long discussion about it once, they pulled the rule book out and I was able to keep it but now days I just put that whole kit in checked luggage.
I had their webpage open - they did not care!

I had their webpage open - they did not care!
They brought the rules, I just listened as the new TSA was asking her supervisor, who explained the rule to her, I really don’t worry about these things anymore, I can always borrow a wrench or buy one at the destination

What possible issues with removing hoses?
Stuff from the outside world getting in. Anytime you disassemble and reassemble , there's a chance of leaks. I wouldn't hesitate to do it if there was some benefit but I have never had an issue getting it all packed up nicely without disassembly, doesn't make sense to me.

That’s why they make port plugs.
And zip lock bags.
Stuff from the outside world getting in. Anytime you disassemble and reassemble , there's a chance of leaks. I wouldn't hesitate to do it if there was some benefit but I have never had an issue getting it all packed up nicely without disassembly, doesn't make sense to me.
By removing the hoses from your first stage you're also removing stress on the crimps. Each time they get bumped or jostled by TSA it could cause more issues. Unless you have room in your bag to allow each hose at the 1st stage to not get bent or a hard bend then you're introducing unnecessary stress on the hose. Put the 1st stage in a sandwich bag with or without plugs and cap your hoses and your equipment will be fine. It also packs much smaller when not having hoses going off in different directions.

And zip lock bags.

By removing the hoses from your first stage you're also removing stress on the crimps. Each time they get bumped or jostled by TSA it could cause more issues. Unless you have room in your bag to allow each hose at the 1st stage to not get bent or a hard bend then you're introducing unnecessary stress on the hose. Put the 1st stage in a sandwich bag with or without plugs and cap your hoses and your equipment will be fine. It also packs much smaller when not having hoses going off in different directions.
Zip lok bag, port plugs, ect, you are still opening it up and there is then a chance for something to get in. again, not major, I take stuff apart all the time and rarely have an issue, and if I do , it's not contamination, its an o-ring.

When its in a loop is pretty much stress free, and being in the center of the bag, a serious bump would be required to cause an issue with the crimps, unless you are packed in a garbage bag, this is not an issue.

My point is this, redirect your disassembly/reassembly effort into packing it properly and you will have no issues and will get rid of the source of an issue, however minor that may be.

Just my opinion, by all means, do you. I haven't heard about anyone's friend who disassembled their reg and then spontaneously died on vacation, so I think you are OK to do as you please.

My regs get setup once on a LOB and get hosed down in the evening. They get dragged/banged off and on pangas with other divers setting up all around. I do keep clips on my 2nds and clipped off between dives so they aren't splayed all over the dive deck. Meh...coiled up in a padded reg bag buried in my checked dive bag is like a vacation for them no matter how bad they are gorilla'd by luggage handlers. By all means take them apart...won't hurt anything...mine aren't that fragile. Just go dive. :) All IMHO, YMMV.

Not to mention, blowing a high pressure O-ring at a critical moment due to halfhearted reassembly without proper tools. My policy is, keep it simple sister. Reg bags are sized and designed for assembled gear. YMMV.

Not to mention, blowing a high pressure O-ring at a critical moment due to halfhearted reassembly without proper tools. My policy is, keep it simple sister. Reg bags are sized and designed for assembled gear.
On that note who doesn't take the tools with them to reassemble if they broke it down in the first place? If tools get confiscated who isn't at a location that doesn't have an lds or boat crew to help? It only takes 5 minutes to rebuild a reg set and that's with getting distracted by shiny things and squirrels.

Personally I'd rather an o-ring issue than a leaking crimp. I can replace o-rings on the boat, it's more expensive to replace the hose and not always available.

When I dis-assemble it it is for compactness. I often do carry-on only travel, and I like my mask and regs in my personal item, rather than in the bag that might get gate-checked.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom