Reg. Stow or carry on?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a small, 4” oal crescent that has a 6” size head on it, it will make it through the TSA inspection.
I don’t take that chance anymore after having what were TSA approved tools confiscated from carry on - they can be tyrants!

The other factor is weight. If you're packing light it matters less but carry on bags generally don't have a weight limit like checked bags do. When you're traveling with a rebreather, multiple bailout regulators, cameras, lights, plus supporting equipment trying to minimize overweight checked bags by jamming all the heavy stuff into one absurdly dense rolling carry on bag is a good strategy.

Not always true, many foreign airlines, Turkish Airlines for example, have an 8 kg limit for the carry on. And my dive buddy got charged nearly $600 for two overweight carry on bags full of regulators.

My carry on is my camera equipment, diving gear mostly goes in my checked bags. On my recent trip to the Red Sea I flew Turkish Airlines. I begged and pleaded with the Turkish Airlines ticket agent when he weighed my carry on and with a wink and a smile he put a cabin approved sticker on my 12 kg carry on. But coming back, the agent did not check at all. Never know. But $300 or $600 is not chump change and Turkish Airlines did charge my dive buddy near $600 for two over 8 kg carry on bags.

On a side note. This Curacao sun is kicking my pasty white ass. Day two and somewhere between a lobster and a beet.
MOF #40
Be there in a month or so…with my hard soled boots in my carryon. :bananalama::clearmask::bounce::bounce::bounce::)

I’ve only flown with my gear a few times, but I’ve had good luck packing everything in a medium-sized (little bigger than “carry-on” sized) hard-sided suitcase. BP/W, wetsuit, regs, lights, mask all fit, together with the mesh gear bag it all goes in to go on the dive boat. The fins (Avanti Quattro+) have to go in a bigger suitcase with my clothes. Check them all. We have extra checked bag allowance on American, so it works.

since I dive a DH, it is in my carry-on bag.... lots of weight...

Not always true, many foreign carries, Turkish Airlines for example, have an 8 kg limit for the carry on. And my dive buddy got charged nearly $600 for two overweight carry ons full of regs.

My carry on is my camera equipment, diving gear mostly goes in my checked bags. I begged, pleaded the Turkish Airlines ticket agent and with a wink and a smile he put a cabin approved sticker on my 12 kg carry on. But coming back, the agent did not check at all. Never know. But $300 or $600 is not chump change.
Every airline has a carry on weight limit. I've never seen it checked for anything that wasn't also pushing the volume limits.

Every airline has a carry on weight limit. I've never seen it checked for anything that wasn't also pushing the volume limits.
All I can say is what happened. And my dive buddy had to pay $. I managed not to. Luck of the draw.

Use a carry-on bag( holdall) to release your hand luggage. put the regs in your hand luggage. The bag is never measured by weight or length.
используйте портплед для освобождения ручной клади. в ручную кладь положите реги. портплед никогда не измеряется весом и длиной.

I don’t take that chance anymore after having what were TSA approved tools confiscated from carry on - they can be tyrants!
I had a long discussion about it once, they pulled the rule book out and I was able to keep it but now days I just put that whole kit in checked luggage.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom