Regs or Computer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

because computers can are a simple no BS way of monitoring your nitogen loading, trying to do your dive tables under water at 130'+ can prove a difficult task even for the most experienced diver

Arcaporale:
because computers can are a simple no BS way of monitoring your nitogen loading, trying to do your dive tables under water at 130'+ can prove a difficult task even for the most experienced diver

In my most humble opinion, you are in for a hard lesson.

Arcaporale:

OK. So if the OP thinks he wants to push toward the edge and needs to be idiot proofed, he should consider the computer first. But if he is reasonably competent and intelligent, then the reg might be the better choice.

Computers are a useful tool in experienced hands and should not be a substitute for good dive planing and a thorough understanding of dive tables and the risk of pushing the limits with regards to nitrogen loading. Since most computers are far less conservative than standard dive tables there is an inherently greater risk of DCS associated with their improper use. Afterall one can still do everything by the numbers on a dive based on proper "more conservative" table usage and still get hit. I've heard this crap before..."I dive with a computer so I'm safe." There is always another statistic waiting to happen.

Arcaporale:

As soon as I was certified I made Two purchases, A good reg set and a computer. I wanted to know how my regs were maintained and being such an important breathing tool for diving. Owning my own set was important. I maintain them and know that they are in excellent working condition when I dive. When I bought my computer it was not a very expensive one but I knew it would grow with my diving and the training that I knew I would do in the future. It was nitrox capable, though not air integrated because I did not see that that was important feature to me.

I then went on to purchase a BC as my third purchase. Over the years my gear has changed, but the only thing that is still with me is the regs that I purchased becasue I knew they would withstand the damage that Iwould do to them.

I have seen how many rental gear is maintained and I have heard horror stories. Now I don't know if they were true, but after hearing about them I knew I had to own a set the min I was certified. Now when I trave, I take them with me so I don't have to worry about getting to 100 feet and discovering that there is a reg problem.

Buy a set of regs and then decided if you want a computer. I still plan all my dives with a computer. My computer still gives me a little bit more leway, but if my computer should fail, I can still continue to dive becasue I followed my tables, and planned my dive I dived my plan to the tables. The computer was just an added benefit.

Arcaporale:

1) More than 50% of bent divers were using computers (DAN stats)
2) Computers fail
3) If you don't know how to use tables, you have no business at "130+"
4) Computers do not monitor your nitrogen loading any more than tables, neither of which can calculate your nitrogen.

Arcaporale:
I'm sorry, but i would have to say a computer, you can dive safer and longer.

There is no safe diving if you don't know how your regulators have been maintained. Beyond that, many people dive without computers. I dive without mine from time to time, and I barely look at the thing anyway. It's really just a depth guage.

But I own 3 sets of regs!

After my experience of my rental regs failing at depth on me, I would also have to vote getting regs before computer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom