Regs or Computer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Follow up question: When you guys say buy the regs, I assume you ALSO mean the spg console as well (compass, depth & pressure). Or is it common to rent the console and have the shop attach YOUR regs to THEIR console?

I'm also thinking about my first purchase: Regs, Computer, BCD - so many toys, so little money!

...steve...

I don't use a console, but I would agree that you should attach an SPG.

In terms of things to buy, keep things simple. You need an exposure suit, you need a BCD, you need a depth guage. Buy regs if you can. A computer was actually the last part of the diving gear I bought. Most new divers aren't doing dives that tables don't fit well with anyway. And you'll likely run out of air long before you computer says it's time to be coming up.

When you find your tank is lasting longer than the table's say it's safe to dive, then think about a computer.

easy...regs...computer maybe never.

I agree with PerroneFord I also dislike the bulky/clunky rubber consoles and prefer diving with a single SPG without a rubber boot. I've had a problem before at 25' depth when the HP hose connection came loose from my SPG (when I used to have it in a rubber console) and vented large amounts of my remaining air - this only two dives after my regs were recently serviced. Apparently the Dive Shop tech never bothered to check my SPG HP hose connection while it was in the shop with the regs for their annual service/overhaul.

Bottom line trust no one...check every connection yourself before and after every dive. As far as gauges I use a wrist mounted depth gauge and find I am more consistant in checking my depth and heading (I also use a wrist mounted compass) when those instruments are mounted to my wrists. Sometimes I'll also bring along a computer - usually on a retractor. But I always plan my dive with tables and dive that plan as conservatively as possible.

I just got my first equipment yesterday.....tomorrow and Sunday will be my OW dives to cert. I bought my Seaquest Balance and Legend LX ACD, and I gotta say buy the reg first before the computer. Just going from the regs we used in class/rentals to the new Legend was like night and day.! So light and breathing is effortless now...I feel ALOT more comfortable in the water with it. It like breathing on land.....Glad I listened to the ppl here and bought the reg first, you wont regret it.

I bought a computer as my first major piece of dive gear. It was on sale and non air integrated. The main reason I have it is for helping record dive info and as a bottom timer.

I would buy a reg set...that's my next purchase. I've always rented regs and bc's and wetsuits. I just bought a bp/w setup and my next purchase is reg setup. My reasoning is that im still figuring out which wetsuit to buy.

What's needed for diving?
Regulator, BCD, training, tables,gauges, mask and fins are the major definite haves IMHO

Wetsuit or drysuit for the conditions your diving in both are for comfort and help prevent hypothermia which from what I've read recently can help DCS symptoms to form

Accessories that some divers dive without and others must have with them as personal choice : computer, slate, clips, DPV, etc.

Another thing I didn't notice anyone else point out. Your diving dry which is something I haven't done yet. I assume you use 2 lp hoses connecting to both your suit and BCD. The shops around here usually don't have 2 hoses on the reg setup. So you can set up everything nice and easily.

Add the computer as a maybe later.

If you know how to properly use them and you can do the math then you can do multiple dives just as safely without a computer as you can with one.

Back
Top Bottom