Regulators to consider

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, nowadays instead of a good old and reliable and all you really need mechanical spg, they got these new fangled electronical things that display tank pressure real time on a heads up display and still some divers manage to run out of air. Kind of like the video of the instructor pilot with student landing gear up with having placed the aircraft in the landing configuration, power back and flaps down, failed to extend the gear despite a very loud and repetitive WARNING GEAR NOT DOWN over the cabin speaker and intercoms. We cannot failure proof the human component.

Boys, let's have a group :hugs:.

OP, just get the Atomic B2 set or a Scubapro G260 with a Mark 25 Evo first or if budget is a concern the Hog sets are nice.

As to unbalanced first stages, there is much to be said for simplicity and reliability. They just work and keep on working no matter what. The drop in performance as pressure decreases in the tank, thus a drop in IP, is not that big of a deal if the second stages are a good, simple, reliable balanced design, like a G250 or G260 or similar. I have used such regs at depth, under strenuous conditions and was just fine.

My newest regulator, picked up the Mk 2 Evo for a song in Bonaire, always wanted my own, and just prepped it for my next trip. I meant it as a reliable back up but it may become the go to for the trip as I need to travel light and reliability is priority. Is it not a beauty:

A standard tank valve can flow about 40 cfm wide open. No currently produced regulator from any manufacturer I know of cannot flow at least double if not multiples of that volume. And volume is the key word because the volume is the same at depth as it is at the surface and within sport diving depths (and then some) the increase in density is real but not enough to reduce the volume the regulator can flow significant to the diver. Decades ago I used Mk 2s with unbalanced second stages at depths I should never have been at spearing fish offshore Louisiana. It was stupid and dangerous and very strenuous. A relative was bent and paralyzed doing a similar thing. But the Mk 2 and the unbalanced second stages did just fine.

A scuba valve can flow about 40 cfm wide open. A top performing second stage can flow about 60 cfm wide open. A top performing human body at maximum output can flow about 4 cfm (an elite athlete may can flow about 8 cfm). That is a lot of ventilation. Strap a tank to your stationary bike or treadmill/elliptical and see how fast you breath it down with you going full out. My point is to not get lost in the numbers, any modern regulator set or any from even decades past can deliver all the air volume you will ever need at any reasonable depth you belong at. So purchase the pretty one (Atomic) the ugly one (Scubapro G260) or the one you can gets parts for or from the lds who smiles the nicest at you or just toss a coin. Nowadays, I prefer the ones that have the S on them.
I just noticed you have two different versions of the G250😳

If you ever want to rectify that by getting another one or the other let me know.

Don't know how you sleep at night😂

I just noticed you have two different versions of the G250😳

If you ever want to rectify that by getting another one or the other let me know.

Don't know how you sleep at night😂
Those two play nice together just fine :). I got them for free as they were being discarded at a local store.

Like I said, my wife may not like you :wink:. This is the one that needs a minty match:

I'll find you a nice one James. I assume you're in no hurry?
No hurry, not even at all :). I have everything I need in duplicate to complete the missions ahead. But when it comes to G250s, one more is better than not having one more. This is what I try to explain to my very frugal wife person. Seems logical to me.

Poor OP, we stole his thread but if after six pages he has not figured out his mind then we cannot help him.

Poor OP, we stole his thread but if after six pages he has not figured out his mind then we cannot help him.
That might be because there are so many different brands and different combos to choose from.
People use so many different things and everything works, so in the end everybody is right. If there was one that was heads above the rest and all the others sucked and were dangerous, we’d have a lot more reg companies going belly up.
I just can’t believe how many different brands there are now and all of them seem to be doing OK.
This could mentally twist up a new diver who’s just looking for something to go diving with.
I even get confused sometimes.
Put them all on a dart board and see where the dart hits.

Reactions: L13
No hurry, not even at all :). I have everything I need in duplicate to complete the missions ahead. But when it comes to G250s, one more is better than not having one more. This is what I try to explain to my very frugal wife person. Seems logical to me.

I’m soaking it all up. You guys are entertaining. Lol. I went off the rails of my original question and ordered the Atomic M1 first, second and octo. Figure I can do everything with the M1 that I can do with the other models but maybe can’t do with the other models what i can with the M1. If that makes any sense. Wasn’t trying to sound like yoda.

Do you think the braided hose is more of a factor over a swivel like on the b2?
Good question. I regularly use two different regulators. My personal set is a Zeagle FH7/Z with a braided hose. I also use an aquarium set which is an Atomic B2 with swivel and turret on the 1st stage.

I find the Zeagle to be more comfortable. If I were to route the hose under my arm, the swivel would undoubtedly be needed, and would make a bigger difference.

That said, I can’t say that the additional comfort is due to the braided hose. My personal set also has a SeaCure mouthpiece, which I’m sure makes a big difference. Regardless, a braided hose, swivel, or formed mouthpiece can all be added afterwards if you find the current setup to be less than perfect.

Figure I can do everything with the M1 that I can do with the other models but maybe can’t do with the other models what i can with the M1. If that makes any sense.

Excellent!!! You are right!!!

Congratulations and I wish you lots of awesome, safe and enjoyable diving for many decades to come. Your regulator is going to last you decades. I still have and use my first Atomic regulator, a B1 that was upgraded to a B2, since circa 1997. I have at least one of every Atomic regulator model (except the Z3 and the 25 anniversary).

Excellent!!! You are right!!!

Congratulations and I wish you lots of awesome, safe and enjoyable diving for many decades to come. Your regulator is going to last you decades. I still have and use my first Atomic regulator, a B1 that was upgraded to a B2, since circa 1997. I have at least one of every Atomic regulator model (except the Z3 and the 25 anniversary).
Thanks! That’s awesome! Do you think it would be appropriate to replace with a miflex hose or will that have any affect the performance?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom