renatable weights??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

humdiver

Reaction score
Im going to the Kona coast this fall and will be traveling with my bc which is weight integrated was wondering if any of the dive shops will rent weight bags so I dont have to travel with them or buy them there and donate them to housekeeping??
Ive heard of dive shops selling them and buying them back for a percentage of original purchase price I guess I really need a local for this one I hate to sound like a whiner but the purple bruises on my hips(from weight belt) are not the kind of color I was hoping to come home with!!
Thanks for any info

They will rent you weights. Most travel locations will.

The down side might be how they're made. My own weights are soft weight bags -- are you OK with the solid ingots?

If they are intregrated they will have a pad on the body side of the pockets so it won't matter.

Weights would generally be included in the price of boat dives...though most have the hard weights rather than the soft. For shore diving, the daily rates seem to be between $3.50 - $6.00 for a set of weights (again, typically the hard ones).

One thing I've noticed is that most locations that you fly to will have weights included with the dive trip or boat trip...

but most of these locations have "hard weights". This might be a problem with some of the BC's and they are made to take the weight cartridges which only hold soft weights...

just something to think about.

I find soft weights to be troublesome in integrated pockets. They are always trying to slip out. Last week I found a 2 lb shot bag while diving that had fallen out. Then when we got to shore is was discovered that mf GF had lost a 2 lb bag on that same dive. Different bag was found though.
I haven't seen a BC that wont take hard weights. Im sure they are out there but not that I have seen.

Wildcard:
I find soft weights to be troublesome in integrated pockets. They are always trying to slip out. Last week I found a 2 lb shot bag while diving that had fallen out. Then when we got to shore is was discovered that mf GF had lost a 2 lb bag on that same dive. Different bag was found though.
I haven't seen a BC that wont take hard weights. Im sure they are out there but not that I have seen.

I think some of the SeaQuest and Tusa BC's take the "weight cartridge" that you put the weights in a weight holder/cartridge and then slide/click it in place. It looks like a really neat system.... But I don't think it will accomadate the hard weights.

With that said, and the metion above of loosing weights, I know two people who have purchased a BC with the slide/click in weight cartridge only to loose the whole cartridge when they did the "giant stride" into the water.... so it's not fool proof apparantly.....

Here is a trick to find lost weight pockets. Tie a several fot long piece of plastic flagging ribbon to the pocket and stuff it inside before putting the pocket in teh BC so that when it falls out the ribbon will float free and you can then find the all black pocket. Learned that the hard way.
BTW my Sea QUest has hard weights in the pockets.

Also a cheep source for soft wirghts can be the adjustable weight lifting wrist/ankle weights. I saw a 20 lb set for $20.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom