renatable weights??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wildcard:
Here is a trick to find lost weight pockets. Tie a several fot long piece of plastic flagging ribbon to the pocket and stuff it inside before putting the pocket in the BC so that when it falls out the ribbon will float free and you can then find the all black pocket. Learned that the hard way.

Hey! That's a very good idea.

Wildcard:
If they are intregrated they will have a pad on the body side of the pockets so it won't matter.

Wildcard's exactly right on this. The vast majority of integrated systems are actually made to handle hard weights, that's what the hard side is for. Where the soft weights come in handy are in the soft belts that are out nowadays.

humdiver:
Im going to the Kona coast this fall and will be traveling with my bc which is weight integrated was wondering if any of the dive shops will rent weight bags so I dont have to travel with them or buy them there and donate them to housekeeping??

Or do what I did after discovering I left the rental weights back at the shop (posted that story awhile ago) -- find a couple of big, heavy rocks and dive with those until your arms give out. Or you could follow the advice of the sane members of this board :D Actually, I do occasionally trim buoyancy with rocks, especially in a surge. Dense basalt is the best.

If you can find solid weights cheap enough at home, and have the extra room weight wise, you can always travel with them, then if you need the extra weight for bringing things home get rid of the weights. Depending on how much weight costs and how much you need it might end up being less expensive. This is what I've done my last 2 trips, though I only need 10lbs of lead.

kidspot:
If you can find solid weights cheap enough at home, and have the extra room weight wise, you can always travel with them, then if you need the extra weight for bringing things home get rid of the weights. Depending on how much weight costs and how much you need it might end up being less expensive. This is what I've done my last 2 trips, though I only need 10lbs of lead.

I don't know how it is these days, but a couple of years back, travelling with weights was a surefire way to get pulled out of line and have your luggage gone through. X-ray machines don't like lead.

I've talked to a few divers who said they were stuck in a line of divers who'd carrried weights in thier luggage while other passengers had no troubles.

I've gotten out of the retail end of things so I don't often talk with many divers other than those going out on charter and they know to expect weights waiting. Things may have changed.

humdiver:
Im going to the Kona coast this fall and will be traveling with my bc which is weight integrated was wondering if any of the dive shops will rent weight bags so I dont have to travel with them or buy them there and donate them to housekeeping??
Big Island Divers was the most helpful dive store I could find for renting equipment for shore diving. (Good prices, easy weekly rentals, affordable fill cards and fast tank exchanges. I rented weights and two AL-80 tanks, and dove like crazy.) I brought my SeaQuest Balance BC. No soft weights were available for rent, so I rented hard weights and slipped them into the weight pouches and the shoulder pockets. I dove in a 3mm wetsuit, and was not bothered by the "hard spots" of the weights. If I had been bothered, my plan was to wrap the weights in a wash cloth and rubber bands, then insert them into the weight pouches.
(BTW: Other stores told me that all the "good" spots required boat dives. I went on to enjoy 13 spectacular shore dives, and two excellent boat dives. Twice, I dived fantastic spots from shore that other visitors were diving from a boat. (Suck-em-up, Puako) Stores must survive, and they must sell boat trips.)
Have a great trip!!

friscuba:
I don't know how it is these days, but a couple of years back, travelling with weights was a surefire way to get pulled out of line and have your luggage gone through. X-ray machines don't like lead...

I packed mine in my checked luggage, and didn't have any trouble with security - I have not been "pulled aside" for my last 6 flights now!!! For awhile I was getting pulled aside every single flight ... but that was before I took up SCUBA... hmmm maybe diving has made me look less "suspicious"... am I actually starting to appear "normal" now? oh no, not that! :wink:

Aloha, Tim

Last trip back from the Big Isle I had 30 lbs of lead in my carry on. No probs!

hmm... I didn't even think of taking my own weights, but now that you mention it ...why not. It's not like it's so much for tropical diving, and it'll save the weekly weight belt rental x 3+ weeks. I checked my airline's baggage restrictions and I can take 2 items up to 70 pounds each! I don't think my gear weighs that much.
Oh... and another interesting thing... not that I need to take 3 bags, but they allow additional baggage for sports equipment. They don't list diving specifically, but they do include a hockey bag... so surely a dive bag would count.

DiverDebbie:
hmm... I didn't even think of taking my own weights, but now that you mention it ...why not. It's not like it's so much for tropical diving, and it'll save the weekly weight belt rental x 3+ weeks. I checked my airline's baggage restrictions and I can take 2 items up to 70 pounds each! I don't think my gear weighs that much.
Oh... and another interesting thing... not that I need to take 3 bags, but they allow additional baggage for sports equipment. They don't list diving specifically, but they do include a hockey bag... so surely a dive bag would count.
Even if you can take weights, I have a hard time understanding why someone woiuld haul weight along, unless maybe you have a soft weight belt and just can't give it up. Or maybe want a few small trim weights, 1 pounders can be hard to come by. But otherwise weight is weight, it's not like renting a reg. There's a lot to be said for traveling with fewer/lighter bags if possible. Almost anyplace tropical, weights are included in dive packages, so it's unlikely you will be saving anything. They expect most people are traveling and won't be hauling weights along. Maybe if you are strictly shore diving and just renting tanks ala carte they wouldn't be included and you could save a few bucks.

I'd be a little skeptical of anything that says you can check an extra bag for sports equipment - I've heard it may not be allowed even if the rules say it's ok - heck, some airlines threaten to charge you for scuba gear if they know about it, even if it's within your normal allowance - not this makes any sense but than airlines rarely make sense. And some airlines/routes have recently been changing at whim the old standard of 70 pounds international to 50 pounds - maybe they're not doing it from Canada, I don't know. (Of course, then there's routes with small planes or whatever where restrictions are even tighter. )

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom