Replacing power inflator--will any old zip ties do?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Matt,

As above, there are cheap ones from the $2 shop and usually they are not reliable but are cheap, great for simple stuff like in car wiring etc. Then there are the UV rated (and many are not no matter where you get them from), quality zip clips (usually from electrical supply outlets) which work well. Some have stainless clip in them and some have plastic, however if they are quality they all work well. If you are not sure, zip one up a bit and then try very hard to open it by pulling on it. The cheap ones run back open easily, the good ones don't.

I always use the ones I can get from Home Depot that have a metal tang.

Now I do wonder why you need a new inflator?? I have never replaced one, but have rebuilt mine many times. The rebuild kits are cheap and with an affordable tool they are easy to rebuild.

When installing a new inflator, I would also recommend using a little contact adhesive to make sure they never fall off.

New ones are better than old. Use wider, say 1/4"

At the risk of letting my OCD show: Use nail clippers to trim the end of the zip tie and you get a smoother edge.

:D
I do the same thing.
I keep nail clippers on my key ring.

---------- Post added May 19th, 2013 at 09:32 PM ----------

You people laugh, but once I left the ball on my rear dump valve and it almost killed me.

If you choose to dive with that ball, remember.....it must be respected.
Like handling rattle snakes. :cool2:

Just look at this site if you have any doubt that all Zip-Ties are not the same:

Cable Ties and Accessories

I have the most confidence in Panduit Ty-wraps. Virtually there entire market is industrial so poor quality isn’t tolerated. I am not in the BCD = “Life Support” camp, but don’t trust little strips of plastic either. I do accept that a BCD failure is inconvenient.

I use a good quality silicon adhesive between the corrugated hose and the plastic fitting in addition to the tie. You can use more aggressive adhesives like Aqua Seal but silicon is reasonably easy to remove without damaging the hose or fitting when maintenance is required.

The "Dome-Top® Barb Ty Cable Ties" look like what's used on my DSS rig. Cool site!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom