Rescue Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sorry, I just passed it and I'm a contrarian on this course. It was tough, I learned a lot, glad I have the knowledge, but this PADI PR nonsense that "it's the most fun...blah, blah" don't buy it. Firstly, unless you are diving by yourself on your own boat, I doubt that YOU would be the person administering the aid. That's what dive masters on dive boats are supossed to do. Secondly, The idea (at least when I did the water rescue of a guy who weighed 210lbs.) that YOU or I can lug a person who weighs twice as much as I did thru a pounding surf to safety is ridiculous. This is more like SEAL or RANGER training to me, (I have had RANGER training so I know). Take the course, it's worth it...but FUN!!! No way. I'm sure I'm going to take heat for this posting, but so be it, I ain't 'drinking the kool aid"

Thanks for all the info I am going to take it I look forword to the chalenge.
And thanks agin for all the info

Jed

Sorry, I just passed it and I'm a contrarian on this course. It was tough, I learned a lot, glad I have the knowledge, but this PADI PR nonsense that "it's the most fun...blah, blah" don't buy it. Firstly, unless you are diving by yourself on your own boat, I doubt that YOU would be the person administering the aid. That's what dive masters on dive boats are supossed to do. Secondly, The idea (at least when I did the water rescue of a guy who weighed 210lbs.) that YOU or I can lug a person who weighs twice as much as I did thru a pounding surf to safety is ridiculous. This is more like SEAL or RANGER training to me, (I have had RANGER training so I know). Take the course, it's worth it...but FUN!!! No way. I'm sure I'm going to take heat for this posting, but so be it, I ain't 'drinking the kool aid"

Sorry you didn't enjoy your Rescue course. I think what most people meant when they said it was "fun" is that a good instructor can make challenging work fun by the way he/she teaches the course. One certainly learns to be a much better prepared diver after taking the course. Practicing the skills on your own ocassionaly helps, too. (Taking the course and not doing anything for two years can make you a little rusty).

You want to be prepared to be able to take over on a boat even if it's not your own. If you're on a dive boat and the DM is still in the water with a group, and someone starts having trouble breathing topside, it just may be you that would have to administer the oxygen. You could also be diving with a buddy that runs into trouble and you're not near the DM. If he/she stops breathing, when you reach the surface you might have to administer mouth-to-mouth until the boat gets to you to pick you up. Don't take for granted that someone will always be available to do all that may be required. All kinds of circumstances can arise where you just might be the one who is going to be the one to save a life.

Imgeting ready to sign up for a paramedic course at our local college well mater of fact im going Monday to sign up

That will be great for emergency first aid and helping people in all situations in the streets. You'll find that some things will be different when you do the training for SCUBA rescue. Instead of tearing off shirts to administer CPR you will have to remove gear while administering artificial respiration without missing a beat while swimming toward shore or a boat. :wink: My hat (or should I say my beanie) is off to you for taking these advanced steps to help make people safer and caring enough to want to help others!

That will be great for emergency first aid and helping people in all situations in the streets. You'll find that some things will be different when you do the training for SCUBA rescue. Instead of tearing off shirts to administer CPR you will have to remove gear while administering artificial respiration without missing a beat while swimming toward shore or a boat. :wink: My hat (or should I say my beanie) is off to you for taking these advanced steps to help make people safer and caring enough to want to help others!

I want to get on with the local rescue dive team its all volunteer but its something I want to do and being a paramedic is going to be my full time job .Every thing im learning is something I know i can use with the family wether its diving with the family or friends or just out and being in the right place to help.Ive been in a situation were i was helpless and I dont like it especialy when it comes to family. Wife says this is the right job for me because I am a people person and have a good personality and most of my frings say the same thing

Sorry you didn't enjoy your Rescue course. I think what most people meant when they said it was "fun" is that a good instructor can make challenging work fun by the way he/she teaches the course. One certainly learns to be a much better prepared diver after taking the course. Practicing the skills on your own ocassionaly helps, too. (Taking the course and not doing anything for two years can make you a little rusty).

You want to be prepared to be able to take over on a boat even if it's not your own. If you're on a dive boat and the DM is still in the water with a group, and someone starts having trouble breathing topside, it just may be you that would have to administer the oxygen. You could also be diving with a buddy that runs into trouble and you're not near the DM. If he/she stops breathing, when you reach the surface you might have to administer mouth-to-mouth until the boat gets to you to pick you up. Don't take for granted that someone will always be available to do all that may be required. All kinds of circumstances can arise where you just might be the one who is going to be the one to save a life.

Aloha, Jed+4. What she said! :D

Seriously, Rescue Diver is one of my most favorite courses because it is the course that can help you to feel comfortable in any number of dive emergencies. And let's face it, if you are going to be diving a good bit, the chances are quite good that you'll end up in or around a real-life dive emergency where this training will come in handy. I highly recommend it! And yes, it can be taught in a way where you walk away feeling challenged, satisfied and having had "fun."

One thing to remember is that your training is usually only as good as how often you practice your skills - so I recommend periodic refreshers on rescue dive procedures, conducted by a trained instructor. Where I work, we do Rescue Dive drills every 4-5 months and it helps keep us from getting rusty. With your pending line of work, that probably won't be a problem, though. :wink:

Best of luck and keep on diving!

Long story short, but I've been trawling back through some of the DAN incident reports..... statistically, Rescue Divers are less likely to be involved in fatalities than any other certification level - that says something.

Yes, the course can be tough - but all scuba training is really about understanding your own limitations, strengths and weaknesses.

Secondly, The idea (at least when I did the water rescue of a guy who weighed 210lbs.) that YOU or I can lug a person who weighs twice as much as I did thru a pounding surf to safety is ridiculous. This is more like SEAL or RANGER training to me, (I have had RANGER training so I know). Take the course, it's worth it...but FUN!!! No way. I'm sure I'm going to take heat for this posting, but so be it, I ain't 'drinking the kool aid"

I helped out on a Rescue course recently - my other half (weighs 52 kgs) managed to successfully rescue a 6'2", 100kg guy through moderate surf (hey, if it's POUNDING surf... why are you diving there?) with ease. Not having been there on your course, I can't really comment, but there are a thousand ways to skin a cat and the role of an isntructor is to help you find the way that works for you - not force you into a single way of thinking. Sure, a saddleback carry is never going to work - but there are ways that do. Relative size is relatively immaterial. :wink:

I had a great instructor and a great group, I had a great time doing the skills. We all worked together, we all wanted to be there.

Reality, I am not a cop on a rescue diver team so we may never use any of the skills but I know that I have given myself (and my buddy wife) a little more of a safety margin when we dive especially when we beach dive without a divemaster gives me a confidence boost.

If you like to dive and want to really learn more do the course. Take it with a buddy so you got somone to enjoy it with.

If a situaton does happen with a DM, let the DM handle it, offer to assist or if asked, document, but more important "make a hole"-for landlubbers=give them room

Back
Top Bottom