Rescue Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What is your current cert level? Have you been diving locally? Actually taking the RD course locally would really make you a great Rescue Diver! :thumbs-up
COLOR]

Yeah I agree. Taking a rescue course where you usually dive is the best bet. You will learn about the local emergancy infrastructure and you will practice rescue techniques that are best suited for your own dive sites!

I'm interested in taking the rescue class this summer but not where I live. Although I reside in NY I have no intention of diving there. The Ideal situation would be for me to take the lifesaving course locally then go to a Florida location to do the course. would anyone have any suggestions or if this is even an option.
Thanks
I did just that: I went from New York to Florida for a three day weekend to do the course. It's easier if you can do the Emergency First Responder first aid course in New York ahead of time. I did my training at Captain Hooks in Marathon and was happy; you can also check the Florida section on ScubaBoard to see other shops that get good recommendations. Another option is to go to Dutch Springs, a quarry in Pennsylvania, if you don't want to do it in the Atlantic.

I really enjoyed my Rescue Diver class, in fact I plan on attending the class when my brother takes it this spring. I have also gone further and become an EFR Instructor. I have also volunteered being a victim in upcoming rescue diver classes.

It was 100% worth it.

My wife and son-in-law just finished Rescue last week. They both thought it was demanding but very worthwhile.

One thing about Rescue is that you begin to focus outward. In the beginning of learning to dive you focus inward on your situation; your stress, your buoyancy, your breathing, your swimming, etc. When you get to Rescue you look beyond yourself and begin to consider your buddy. What is their state of mind? Are they stressed? Gulping air, eyes like saucers? Maybe we should slow down... Now you are capable of being a dive buddy.

At the end of the course you will know something about self rescue, the most important item being to not get into situations where you will need to be rescued.

The Rescue course does teach something about rescue but it also teaches you to be a better buddy.

Richard

Definitely do it! My wife and I signed up for it as soon after we got back from Bonaire a couple years ago - shore diving on your own and without a group or DM made us keenly aware that we needed more training in case of an emergency. The class itself was exciting and challenging and has made us more aware divers. Ever had a panicked diver tear your reg out of your mouth and crawl all over you? You'll learn how to handle a situation like that and experience it for yourself during Rescue training.

Hmm. Basic+AOW+Rescue=basic diving cert in the 60's and 70's.

What is your current cert level? Have you been diving locally? Actually taking the RD course locally would really make you a great Rescue Diver! :thumbs-up

Nice handle, BTW :devil:

My current cert level is AOW and although I have done some local diving I don't plan to dive the northeast again. My dives are all warm water.

Your Handle is fantastic!

I did just that: I went from New York to Florida for a three day weekend to do the course. It's easier if you can do the Emergency First Responder first aid course in New York ahead of time. I did my training at Captain Hooks in Marathon and was happy; you can also check the Florida section on ScubaBoard to see other shops that get good recommendations. Another option is to go to Dutch Springs, a quarry in Pennsylvania, if you don't want to do it in the Atlantic.

I've been to dutch springs for DUI day and a couple other dives and I came to the conclusion that cold water just was not for me. It seems like I want to do what you did I'll take a look at the Florida section to see what can be done thanks.

I've been to dutch springs for DUI day and a couple other dives and I came to the conclusion that cold water just was not for me. It seems like I want to do what you did I'll take a look at the Florida section to see what can be done thanks.

Y'know, I used to think that way until I got into drysuit diving. Not only did it increase my comfort in the water, but also my downtime and the length of my local dive season. And, given that I learned to dive in TGWN (AKA Canada) I think you'll see the logic in that.

Anyways, wherever you decide to dive, enjoy! :D

Pax,

Rescue is the most important course after OW. If nothing else, going through the scenarios and realizing just what is involved in an incident will shock you into being a safer diver. If you regularly dive with another family member, its nice to know you can help them if needed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom