Rescue Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, it is one of things I remember vividly,
.. you find some things work and some don't (I tried an underwater approach and it does not work to swim around the person to try to get to their back , they just turn with you (and wore myself out trying to swim around) .... proper method is to come up directly underneath them, then no matter what way they turn you can come up behind them)
But that is just one part of the class, and i bet if you sit in on one, you'll see why everyone who's taken it, say it's one the best classes, if not the best

The focus should be on trying to prevent a situation from becoming a full on panic.
You can't control everything. You certainly can't control what other people are going to do in a distressed and/or panicked situation. So, the point is, how to handle the situation once panic has ensued.

If you try to physically intervene with someone in a full on panic, you yourself will likely become a victim.
Yes, you are. I'm not.

My point is that allot of instructors make this a major part of their class. It should be much more about prevention of these kinds of situations.
It's pretty clear that you're not familiar with the content of the RD class. Try buying the book and reading it, if you want to get a better idea. For example, dealing with a paniced diver is only ONE of the FOUR open water scenarios (at least it was for my class, and I believe it's a standard 4 scenarios).

But if you're suggesting that the RD class should not include training on how to deal with a panicked diver, you simply could not be more wrong. That would be like giving an OW cert to someone who can't remove and replace their mask.

Like I said - RD is not for everyone. It certainly sounds like it is not for you. So why complain about it? Stick with the "specialty" courses and enjoy yourself.

Safe Diving!
ND

If you try to physically intervene with someone in a full on panic, you yourself will likely become a victim.

Yes, you are. I'm not.
If you truly believe that I hope for your sake you never have to find out.

It's pretty clear that you're not familiar with the content of the RD class. Try buying the book and reading it, if you want to get a better idea. For example, dealing with a paniced diver is only ONE of the FOUR open water scenarios (at least it was for my class, and I believe it's a standard 4 scenarios).

But if you're suggesting that the RD class should not include training on how to deal with a panicked diver, you simply could not be more wrong. That would be like giving an OW cert to someone who can't remove and replace their mask.

I am completely familiar with the course, and I never suggested that the drill should not be included but rather the focus be on prevention. By reading your post it's clear to me that it has given you a false confidence of what is possible in a real world situation. I have witnessed a near drowning incident, trust me no "drill" can prepare you for it. The problem is that when that is the focus of the class, everyone goes away with an unrealistic expectation of what is possible.

Like I said - RD is not for everyone. It certainly sounds like it is not for you. So why complain about it?
ND

Because talking about such topics here in an open discussion may just change someone's point of view of what this class should be and perhaps offer future students a better class.

By reading your post it's clear to me that it has given you a false confidence of what is possible in a real world situation.
Guess again. It's actually given me an idea of what is NOT possible in a real world situation.

I have witnessed a near drowning incident
I have BEEN INVOLVED in a near drowning incident.

trust me no "drill" can prepare you for it.
Not true. If "drills" were not useful in helping people be prepared for whatever is being drilled for, then no one would bother to put out the time and expense to drill - for anything.

The problem is that when that is the focus of the class, everyone goes away with an unrealistic expectation of what is possible.
Again, not true. First, I don't think a "panicked diver" situation is the focus of the class. Second, no one in my class came away with an "unrealistic expectation". In fact, there was a general sentiment of, "Oh. Well.....that sucks. I guess I'll just do the best I can." No one came away with a thought even remotely close to, 'Me Rescue Diver. Me Superstar. Me save anybody, anytime."

Because talking about such topics here in an open discussion may just change someone's point of view of what this class should be and perhaps offer future students a better class.
Unlikely. I doubt that anyone at PADI HQ gives a hoot what anyone on SB thinks :)

I read this thread with great interest as the Rescue course is my favourite course to both teach and participate in.

The Padi Rescue diver training expands the basic problem prevention and accident management skills a diver has learnt during an open water course. At rescue level a diver is taught how to apply direct intervention techniques to assist others in the unlikely event of an emergency.

This course is meant to be serious although, it is also meant to an enjoyable challenge that builds a divers confidence.

This is an extract from the instructors manual.

If you don't feel you got your monies worth you should address the instructor not the course design, after all it is for recreational diving.

I give up NudeDiver, you're right. The class is perfect, I think I'll run out and sign up now!

Plonk!!

Just did Rescue diver this weekend, Instructor suggested that if a diver is holding his breath on ascent to punch him in the stomach, I grinned. As PADI was giving the test and issuing my card I answered all the test questions as they said I should. I like reading all the posts here for reference for when or if I ever have to make a real decision, better to discuss it and all the possibilities and results than take one agencies or persons point of view on the subject.

Use the brain first, if that is not available use your training, if that is not available, make a guess and pray.

We are signed up for this class in April. My dive buddy/partner is relatively new to the sport and she, like me, is wanting to learn as much as possible to become a better and safer diver. We plan on diving alot the next few years and I feel that this is an important class to take inorder to insure both our safety and welfare in the sport.

We take the AOW on the next week, RD in april and Wreck in may.:D

Back
Top Bottom