Rescue Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I took rescue when I only had 15 or so OW dives, It was well worth it and even though I feel that having more dives under my belt would have been good, I still learned a lot from it and am the better for it .. besides, at what point is it a good idea to become a better diver anyway?
Rescue is the best, hardest, most rewarding class ever

... why so soon after AOW? cause I had a friend that is a warm water vacation diver that wanted to a dive here, her first time in cold water, heavy wetsuit, hood, gloves and knowing that is a lot of potential stress, and with so few dives under my belt, I wanted to be more aware of and be more confident in my ability to head things off if things don't go right.

I've never taken the rescue class because of allot of the responses I've read hear in this thread.

Why do allot of instructors think it's necessary to try to drown you with this stupid panicked diver drill?

In a real life situation I'm not putting my own life in jeopardy on diver in full on panic until I can get them calmed down somehow. I'm sure not going to pay some joker to try to drown me in a class!

I just don't believe you have to be out through some kind of trauma to learn rescue skills.

They should have a separate class for that called Self Defense and Rescue!

I took Rescue Diver mostly for two reasons:

• Because now my wife is my dive buddy (or will be, next time we go diving anyway), and I waned to be be better prepared to deal with her, as she is a new diver.
  • To be better prepared for taking the Solo Diver course
A big decision I had to make was whether to take the class locally (very cold water, drysuit required) or take it while out on vacation somewhere the water is warmer. I decided to take it locally. I'm glad I did - as it was more challenging to do in the local conditions, and I didn't have to burn vacation time taking a class.

We started out with 6 people. By the time the class was over, we had 2 - various reasons, mostly due to the non-seriousness of the students. There were two children in the class, they both were among the ones who dropped out (and I wasn't sorry to see them go). The academics were pretty lightweight - we spent hardly any time on them at at all. A big reason for this was probably due to the fact that only two people (the ones who finished the class) could be bothered to show up with the homework done. Overall, I was pretty disappointed in the academics. The pool was a different story (for the most part). It seemed to be taken a lot more seriously. I thought the pool sessions were pretty useful.

On the open water sessions - there was no big surprise - it was just what you did in the pool. We had a rather large-sized DM serving as our victim, so that was a bit of a challenge. Overall, of the whole class, I would say the most useful skill learned had to do with bringing an unconscious victim from depth to the surface, safely. Even then, it's not rocket science. If you have half a brain, you could probably figure that out on your own anyway.

Overall - I can't say that the class involved learning any real "diving skills". I don't think it makes you a better diver from a technical/mechanical/skill standpoint (i.e. air management, trim, buoyancy, etc. etc.). We didn't really do much actual diving for the most part. But I think it can help make you a better PREPARED diver. As for being fun - well, yes, fun its own way - but not "diving kind of fun" - if that makes sense. It's INTERESTING more than it is FUN. As for being challenging - well, sure, it's more challenging than OW or AOW - but that's not really saying much, now is it? Is it challenging in and of itself? I think it depends on the person and previous experience in life. I was a certified lifeguard at one point in my life, so I've sort of "seen it before" for the most part. There wasn't that much that was NEW, in theory or in practice, for me. But for someone else, it would all be new. It just depends on the person.

I'm glad I took the class. But if were not taking it for reasons A and B above (mostly reason A) - if I were only taking it because it "seemed like the thing to do" or because "it is so highly recommended" then I would probably be disappointed, and feel like it was not the best use of my money. I certainly don't recommend it if the reason for doing so mostly (or largely) involves the rationale "it's needed for PADI Master Diver" (a trap that should be avoided altogether).

Sorry, I just passed it and I'm a contrarian on this course. It was tough, I learned a lot, glad I have the knowledge, but this PADI PR nonsense that "it's the most fun...blah, blah" don't buy it.
I agree.

Firstly, unless you are diving by yourself on your own boat, I doubt that YOU would be the person administering the aid.
I take it you don't do many independent shore dives? Also, if your buddy is the one having issues, and you are at the surface, away from the boat, or at depth, the people on the boat are not going to be all that helpful as immediately as you could be.

Long story short, but I've been trawling back through some of the DAN incident reports..... statistically, Rescue Divers are less likely to be involved in fatalities than any other certification level - that says something.
You'd have to know how they arrive at those stats to be sure. There's a lot less RD than AOW or OW students, so of course they are less likely to be in accidents. Even if you correct for that, there is the issue that RD divers are more likely to have more experience than AOW and OW divers. Then there is the issue that they are more likely to be more active divers - etc. etc. So, the fact that RD divers may be less likely to be involved in accidents doesn't necessarily mean that it is the RD class that makes it so. Overall, I don't think it's saying very much.

Cheers!
ND

The point is to gain confidence in handling worst case scenarios. Doing so in a controlled environment allows you to experience what you hope never happens - having another diver panic and crawl all over you. You'll be in the water with your instructor and several spotters in case anything goes wrong. All in all, the best course I've taken. Keep in mind the panicked diver scenario is only one small part of the education which is invaluable to growing as a diver and being prepared for tough situations.

I've never taken the rescue class because of allot of the responses I've read hear in this thread. Why do allot of instructors think it's necessary to try to drown you with this stupid panicked diver drill? In a real life situation I'm not putting my own life in jeopardy on diver in full on panic until I can get them calmed down somehow. I'm sure not going to pay some joker to try to drown me in a class! I just don't believe you have to be out through some kind of trauma to learn rescue skills. They should have a separate class for that called Self Defense and Rescue!
PADI Rescue Diver class is not for everyone.

I'm certainly not a believer in the "everyone should take rescue diver" concept.

CATCHASER...spot on. Read some of my previous threads and you will see my opinions. ANY course that one takes in this hobby, i believe adds to one's overall skill level, however, i do believe that the way this course is marketed y PADI, e.g.' The most fun you'll ever have, etc.,' is BS. And as stated, if I wanted to retake Army Ranger training (I have) again, it wouldn't be thru a PADI course.

And as stated, if I wanted to retake Army Ranger training (I have) again, it wouldn't be thru a PADI course.
Um....you seem to be implying that there is something even remotely rigorous about the PADI RD class. That certainly was not my experience - and I'm a fat old bastard! If there is someone complaining about RD being too physically hard - well - one can only wonder how they manage to haul their tank from point A to point B. The course didn't even measure up to the "confidence course" in Air Force Basic training - let alone something that requires one to actually work at something, like Ranger training.

To cat man: what exactly do you expect one would learn in an RD class, if not how to deal with a panicked diver?? Besides which - such a diver is not going to simply wait until you "can get them calmed down somehow" (and how???) - they're in panic! They have lost their ability to reason and follow training. They're not hearing you, or able to listen to your instructions. They're in panic!! Rather than "calm down" because of anything you do, they are more likely to exhaust themselves and pass out. If you wait for that to happen before acting, you now have a more complicated situation to deal with. Not a good move.

But like I said - I don't believe Rescue Diver is for everyone. PADI has an "Underwater Naturalist Specialty" class - it may be more suited to your talents.

I've never taken the rescue class because of allot of the responses I've read hear in this thread.

Why do allot of instructors think it's necessary to try to drown you with this stupid panicked diver drill?

In a real life situation I'm not putting my own life in jeopardy on diver in full on panic until I can get them calmed down somehow. I'm sure not going to pay some joker to try to drown me in a class!

I just don't believe you have to be out through some kind of trauma to learn rescue skills.

They should have a separate class for that called Self Defense and Rescue!
That is a very narrow view of what the class is really about, primary goal is to prevent those situations, then how to deal with, or when to not deal with those situations.
... and what if it was a loved one, or best buddy? it would certantly color your actions

To cat man: what exactly do you expect one would learn in an RD class, if not how to deal with a panicked diver??

The focus should be on trying to prevent a situation from becoming a full on panic. You most certainly can calm them down if you act early enough.

Besides which - such a diver is not going to simply wait until you "can get them calmed down somehow" (and how???) - they're in panic! They have lost their ability to reason and follow training. They're not hearing you, or able to listen to your instructions. They're in panic!! Rather than "calm down" because of anything you do, they are more likely to exhaust themselves and pass out. If you wait for that to happen before acting, you now have a more complicated situation to deal with. Not a good move.

If you try to physically intervene with someone in a full on panic, you yourself will likely become a victim.

My point is that allot of instructors make this a major part of their class. It should be much more about prevention of these kinds of situations.

That is a very narrow view of what the class is really about, primary goal is to prevent those situations, then how to deal with, or when to not deal with those situations.
... and what if it was a loved one, or best buddy? it would certantly color your actions

I agree wholeheartedly! The fact is though every instructor I have talked to about the class make's the panicked diver drill out to be the major focus of the class. They describe it with this vengeful grin as if you're preparing for some military defense maneuver or something. That's most certainly not what I would want from a class.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom