Rescue Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reading this thread, I continue to have the same thoughts I have reading the rescue course manual (haven't done the course--yet):
--I should probably do this, knowledge/training is a good thing.
--Almost none of this sounds at all like fun. Corollary--If it is actually worth the bother, would it be fun?

Corollary--If it is actually worth the bother, would it be fun?
Lots of things that are worth the bother are not necessarily fun.

FWIW - I don't think I found the RD class "fun" - but it was interesting.

This course is no different that taking a first aid/CPR course every 2 years. The more you practice the better you are prepard for the real thing.

I was getting ready to board an airplane with my partner and a women collasped in the tunnel. He and another guy gave CPR for 10 minutes until aid came. That was a reality check.

Rescue diving is the same. The first class is just the start. Keep thinking about it and learning. When the time comes you need everything you can recall. This is not an academic issue but a core teaching challange. The more you practice the better you will respond.

I've never had to preform a rescue, but I've been in situations where I thought I was going to have to. Rescue did prepare me for those situations.

I had a non-responsive diver at the bottom of the BH (80'). He was non-responsive not because he was unconscience, but because he was freaking out a bit. Rather than getting in his face and attempting to get a response by physically grabbing him, I did the opposite, and kept my distance while continuing to ask for a response. I had plans of going around behind him had I needed to take him to the surface.

In the end, he snapped out of it, but had I not had rescue, my response to this situation would have been different, and may have put me in danger had the diver flipped out.

If one is in the water with a distressed diver, having this class helps. That alone IMO makes it worth doing. The CPR is an added bonus, but I've been CPR certified off and on for a long while.

One thing about Rescue is that you begin to focus outward. In the beginning of learning to dive you focus inward on your situation; your stress, your buoyancy, your breathing, your swimming, etc. When you get to Rescue you look beyond yourself and begin to consider your buddy. What is their state of mind? Are they stressed? Gulping air, eyes like saucers? Maybe we should slow down... Now you are capable of being a dive buddy.

I think that is a very useful and helpful way of looking at things/this course - thx.

I took my RD two years ago, and it was one of the best decision I've ever taken as a diver. A lot of people say it's all about being able to help out another diver(s) if there trouble, but it gives you way more than that. It makes you better skilled as a diver, able to better spot potential problems for both yourself and others, and gives you a lot of confidence in the water.

It's not an easy course, it's challenging both on the theoretical side and the practical side, but it's definitely something that most diver can do.

Rescue class was a total blast. I recommend it to everybody that dives. I haven't read all the posts but I'm sure the reasons have already been stated. It IS physical. But if you don't enjoy physical activity one wonders why you are a diver in the first place.
Okay I will give a few reasons...
The self rescue aspect is enough right there to warrant taking the class. How to keep yourself safe while lending assistance is important to know too. And by gosh it's a confidence booster if there ever was one.
Go on, do it. You know you want to.

Steve.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom