Retractor's for console? What else to use?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use a bungee that is 6-8 inches long and a medium boltsnap to a left shoulder D ring. It's worked great since dive 1. It hangs just right for casual navigation. If I need to be intense I sometimes unclip it to position the compass perfectly.

On a related note my wife and I both found that upgrading to a 42 inch HP hose gets the compass in a much friendlier position.

Pete

Rick Inman:
Of the top changes I ever made to make my diving more fun, moving my gages to my wrists is very high on the list. They are always there in front of your eyes to glance at, without having to reach down for anything. Your awareness of depth and time suddenly improves dramatically. Imagine if when you were driving your car, every time you wanted to know how fast you were driving, you had to reach down and pull up some retractable speedometer. But by having it right in front of your eyes, you are always aware of your speed (regardless of what you told the policeman:wink: ).

Just my 2 cents and what works for me.

Great analogy. From my experience I'd agree 100%. I decided to go with wrist mounted gauges very early on and it was easily one of the smartest decisions I made about my diving.

Since *ahem* the guy was asking how you attach your console so it doesn't dangle... :D

I use one of these. The bungee is attached to my console where the HP swivel is, and the snap clips to my BC's left waist d-ring.

I removed the rubber cover over the bungee, and knotted the the bungee so that it stays as short as possible.

I normally swim with my arms crossed at my waist, and with the console cradled in my left arm. I can glance down and see my SPG and computer without moving anything.

If I need to use my compass (on the reverse side of my console), I unclip the console using the fastex buckle to do that. I can also unclip it if I (rarely) need to manage my deflator using the same left hand (hooking the console with computer with my left thumb), while holding on to an ascent line with my right hand.

Works for me. I've got empty wrist boots in my spare parts boxes, but I've never been happy with putting my instruments on my wrists.

--Marek

Attachments

• CONS-HOLD.jpg
    CONS-HOLD.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 68
  • DSCN2747.jpg
    DSCN2747.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 74
Marek K:
Since *ahem* the guy was asking how you attach your console so it doesn't dangle... :D
OK, how about a HUD! :rofl3:

webbah:
I saw in another thread that people were regretting having ever bought retractors for their console. My question is - if not a retractor - then how do you attach your console so it doesn't dangle besides tucking it through the cumberbund buckle?

If you're going to use a console then a new big bolt snap and either some cave line or zip ties will do the trick. It's simple easy and never wears out.

I use a carabiner that I got at Home Depot at the check-out line for a buck. It attaches to a left-side bottom plastic loop on my bc and I put the hose/console through it. When i want to read the console, I pull/slide it out and when I am done, I push/slide it back.

marshallkarp:
I use a carabiner that I got at Home Depot at the check-out line for a buck. It attaches to a left-side bottom plastic loop on my bc and I put the hose/console through it. When i want to read the console, I pull/slide it out and when I am done, I push/slide it back.
FYI, because carabiners allow things to slide in unnoticed, but not slide out - things like nets and cables and wires and stuff - some people consider there use inappropriate (dangerous) for scuba diving. In fact, carabiners have a pet name by some divers: "Suicide clips."

A good bolt snap requires permission by the user for it to be opened and closed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom