Retractor's for console? What else to use?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"Suicide clips."

The absurd things I hear on this board never cease to amaze me. Why in the world would a simple carabiner be associated with a term so perilous? Be honest here. That's just ridiculous.

I cannot think of any way that using a carabiner is going to put your life in danger on a dive.

charlesml3:
"Suicide clips."

The absurd things I hear on this board never cease to amaze me. Why in the world would a simple carabiner be associated with a term so perilous? Be honest here. That's just ridiculous.

I cannot think of any way that using a carabiner is going to put your life in danger on a dive.

I can understand why you would call them that... They have a one way (trap door) gate, so as you are swimming a bunch of line, or net, or anything that you do not want to get tangled up it can hook through the carabiner. I would not wear one on any of my gear...

Phil

charlesml3:
"Suicide clips."

:D ...and away we go!! :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

you are swimming a bunch of line, or net, or anything that you do not want to get tangled up

OK, let's start the list:

1) Your mask
2) Your snorkel
3) Your fin straps
4) Any other connection on your BC
5) Your tank valve

Seriously here. There is no way a caribiner is any more likely to get "caught up" in something like line or a net than anything else. As far as that goes, I'd say it's LESS likely to get caught than your tank valve. At least the caribiner has a spring keeping it closed.

-Charles

skdvr:
I can understand why you would call them that... They have a one way (trap door) gate, so as you are swimming a bunch of line, or net, or anything that you do not want to get tangled up it can hook through the carabiner. I would not wear one on any of my gear...

Phil

There are such a things as a locking carabiners, what do people thing of these? To me they seem more snag free compared to the bolt clips because the locking mechanism doesn't stick out.

Spring-type Locking Carabiner
Screw-type Locking Carabiner

charlesml3:
"Suicide clips."

Read THIS.

And/or... THIS

Whatever dude. You could probably find a story about how a "suicide clip" saved some diver's life if you looked long enough.

charlesml3:
Whatever dude.
:rofl3:
charlesml3:
Why in the world would a simple carabiner be associated with a term so perilous?
Just answering your question.

Back
Top Bottom