Revised Question: Best place for DM course in Philippines

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I tell you what I tell my DIVEMASTER CANDIDATES -
This is a big step for you. You will sacrifice time and money. Learn the trade properly. Buy the complete DIVEMASTER study pack. Do the books. Then start over and do them again. Get every level book and redo all of the knowledge reviews. Then get the DIVING KNOWLEDGE WORKBOOK back out and do it again. You should dream about diving by then. Go to a smaller resort/diveshop that focuses on TECH diving but is a PADI instructor. Money shouldn't be too much of a concern since you are taking your diving to the professional level. It's your life and your training.....it costs....live with it.

This is one of the best replies I have ever read to any post anywhere ever....

I wish people wanting to learn to dive would follow this and get it framed on their wall.

Cheers BabyD

Puerto Galera?
There are a million better diving spots in Phils if you look for marine life and especialy undamaged corral.
Southern Leyte is one of them.
Only backdraw is that it does not attract huge crowds which make the DM experience not always so good, since guided dives and Confined water / try dives are the main meal...

I believe you directly but I looked for the mix; PG seems the best for this. Most other locations are more specific I get the idea (or marine life or whale sharks or wrecks etc.) You probably want to visit these spots after your first visit :cool2: By than PG will look like a kindergarden and after 5 visits you think Philippinnes aint what it used to be and than you go to Uganda or some other new spot

Everything beats Ijsselmeer though :D

Every dive spot has their plusses and minusses... Pg is no different. It's good for some things, bad for others. But I can't really take this seriously "There are a million better diving spots in Phils if you look for marine life and especialy undamaged corral.":rofl3: It's not top for coral, but it's still nice. And just by including Verde island, that destroys the whole affirmation about marine life... But anyways...

Sonar: Non-officially, the shortest most dive operators will pass you through DM class is 2 weeks. And that's rushing it tremendously and doing only the minimum requirements for the course. An internship, which is not required by PADI will let you take more time and gain more experience. But dive operators are not obliged to give you an internship (and some even charge extra for one). Although I would steer clear of any dive op that would not want to include some form of internship with the course; it's such an important part! Any internship should be agreed upon beforehand when you discuss the course with the instructor. It's not an automatic thing that comes with a DM course! Talk to them about it!

@badyB: "This is one of the best replies I have ever read to any post anywhere ever...." Looks like you have a new admirer!!! :blinking::blinking:

:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

I'm just kidding WWD:D:coffee:

@CODMAN

We served our time and worked our asses off to learn the craft and respect others 100% for rightly advising this route.

An internship, which is not required by PADI will let you take more time and gain more experience. But dive operators are not obliged to give you an internship (and some even charge extra for one). Although I would steer clear of any dive op that would not want to include some form of internship with the course; it's such an important part! Any internship should be agreed upon beforehand when you discuss the course with the instructor. It's not an automatic thing that comes with a DM course! Talk to them about it!

Don't want this to become too much of a mutual appreciation society, but respect:coffee:

Sonar - consider extending your DM course via even a short internship. You will really get a feel for the industry AND gain the respect of your dive peers for doing this. It is really worthwhile for you to do this - more work, but very rewarding.

Sonar, I forgot to mention that I think it's an excelent idea of doing your rescue first. That way you can see if you get along with the dive operator before comitting for a DM course! :coffee::coffee: That's the way to do it...:D

It would be good for Chewie and Sonar to hook up and discuss arrange their training at the same place/area.

Looks like you guys have more or less the same goals.

Sure you can make a deal and save some cash by doing this.

Why not.

If chewy is a 24 blonde with double DD I am down for sure. Othwerwise it would depend on data and all :D

Well my plan is basically going to PG, Divo Dojo, do my rescue and see where I do my DM. Meanwhile visit Coron and explore Palawan a bit. After my DM I want to do an internship to dive as much as possible. The idea of working hard in a store only appeals to me. Waking up everyday just to dive or do nothing doesnt particallarly appeal to me. I like the idea of guiding divers next to a pro.

sorry for hijjacking this thread

I think you'll see that guiding is hard work, but very rewarding! :coffee:

If chewy is a 24 blonde with double DD I am down for sure. Othwerwise it would depend on data and all :D

Well my plan is basically going to PG, Divo Dojo, do my rescue and see where I do my DM. Meanwhile visit Coron and explore Palawan a bit. After my DM I want to do an internship to dive as much as possible. The idea of working hard in a store only appeals to me. Waking up everyday just to dive or do nothing doesnt particallarly appeal to me. I like the idea of guiding divers next to a pro.

sorry for hijjacking this thread

Great thread with sound advice.

@ Chewie:
1. Quality and diversity of dive sites (including challenging dive sites to improve my dive skills / confidence)
Many places in the PI can offer this: Anilao, PG, Dumaguete/Apo, Bohol, Malapascua, to name a few...
2. Marine life - I'm a pelagic sort of guy but wouldn't mind macro once in a while. Healthy coral life is assumed.
hmm...pelagics....that would be Malapascua, Bohol, and Apo Island.
3. Quality of DM course
PG is well known for their dive instructors and courses.
4. Topside activities - watersports, some nightlife and vibrant local community
Lots of places. Bohol tops my list for all around. PG has a vibrant community with night life. Duma as well albeit more chill. Eliminate Anilao and Malapascua from your choices if top side activities is important for you.
5. Availability of budget accommodation - as I'll be staying around 1 month, I would need to find a monthly rental instead of a day-to-day hotel
Bohol, PG, Duma can offer those.

Your dive history is pretty diverse, so it's hard to gauge what you'll really like. But hope that helps.

@ sonar: I'm impressed with the amount of PI research you've done. I agree with you that PG will offer you a mix and a nice intro into PI diving.

@ Codman: I agree on Verde Island!

Last edited:
Chewie and Sonar, if you two show up together to both do your DM at Divedojo, I know exactly what Ethei and Trendy are going to say....:eyebrow::eyebrow::eyebrow::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3: Best off you arrive separately, at least a few hours appart!!!!!:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3: Or you're going to get razed all through your course! Bad enough Ethei calls you "his bitch" while doing the course. :rofl3: Of course I avoided this by being in much better physical shape the he at the time and outrunning him on our training runs! :D:D Ahhh those were the days....:cool2::cool2:

Back
Top Bottom