Rotating Buddha Hover? Possible?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have tried this :D

While performing the Buddha hover, the diver will float in whatever position the weighting determines. For example, when I demo this hover in the pool, I generally tip a little to the right because of the extra weight of the alternate on my right side (my lead is distributed equally on both left and right, and I don't use much in this climate, so any extra mass on one side will tip the balance). This means that you will only be able to hover upside down for any length of time if your weights are distributed on your body so that the pivot point between your head and wherever your folded legs end has the same buoyancy on either side--otherwise, even if you skull to get yourself upside down, you will just pivot around until you are head up, simply because your respiratory system is more buoyant than your lower body. The drawback for me in getting upside down (in any position, not just Buddha hover) is that any water that is in the nose pocket of the mask sometimes goes up my nostrils. I don't like that.

On each dive trip, I always to a backward somersault. Usually I video it. Just sort of a qwerky thing I do. Sort of a thank you salute to the sea/lake/water.

Back
Top Bottom