Rule of Halves?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If that's the name NAUI have chosen, they should congratulate themselves for the permanent introduction of diver confusion surrounding these terms.

:doctor:

I like it. It must mean that they found a way that you can plan your gas and your decompression with the same equation. That's slicker than anything GUE has come up with. LOL

I think they should keep it a secret until you take the NAUI fundimentals class.

BTW, PADI knows what the rule of thirds is because it's in the "Cavern" outline. I'm thinking that the logic is that only divers in an overhead need to breath.

There is no gas management stratagy that will ever replace old faithful in recreational diving. That being the "OW" rule of thirds. The rule states that if you wait to long to ascend you have to go up three times as fast to get back to the boat with 500 psi left so the DM doesn't yell at you.

the article correctly, the author refers to these as half stops and its only the title that contains the phrase the rule of halves.

Does "half stops" work as a more appropriate name?

jbd once bubbled...
a more appropriate name?
...when they call it the rule of halves they reveal that they are unfamiliar with the correct and established use of the term as applied to gas management.

Either that or they just don't care.

this use of making the deeper stop when teaching this to OW students? Or any level of students for that matter. I've got classes at various levels in a few weeks and would ideas on what would be the most appropriate name for this.

jbd once bubbled...
this use of making the deeper stop when teaching this to OW students? Or any level of students for that matter. I've got classes at various levels in a few weeks and would ideas on what would be the most appropriate name for this.

If it were up to me (and it isn't), I would bring up the subject of decompression in the context of dives that are appropriate for that level of training. I wouldn't fudge it with an arbitrary stop at half the max depth either.

I don't think there is a better time to start to learn about decompression than right before you go get compressed.

I have been trading e-mails with a freind who was with another freind who got bent. Their computers were just as happy as can be with the way they did the dive. I would have done the dive differently and that's a totally foreign concept to them. It's as though we were from different planets and there isn't even a common enough reference on which to bas a conversation.

One of the things I do in an OW class is to have students look at what the tables say about a 10 minute 130. Then I show them how I would do it. I do this because some DM is going to offer to take them on such a dive their very first trip so I try to make a point.

IMO, If divers are going to stay shallow (say above 50 or 60 ft) what we tell them now may be enough. You know the "NDL", slow ascent and safety stop stuff? However casual vacation divers are going to 100+ following a DM with a computer on a regular basis. IMO, they're pushing, no breaking the limits of the deco for dummies version they get in their training.

If some one isn't going to learn decompression they shouldn't get compressed.

I think the rule of halves is just another example of feeding them what we think they are smart enough to have.

Under agency guidlines there isn't any way for me to teach what I would like to. A former student of mine just got his cave ticket. He promptly went out and bought a VR3. Not that one can't use a VR3 with success but my bet is he'll use it for a shortcut to do dives he doesn't understand just like the bent freind above.

It reminds me of that old song..."tiiiinnnyyy...buuublllesss"

Of course all this is just my opinion after spending a few years watching how people dive and the shocked look on their faces when something goes wrong.

Wow! that was way more than I intended to say in this thread.

jbd once bubbled...
what would be the most appropriate name for this.
My guess is that a clueless editor of the magazine came up with the title for the article. Ask them if they want this demonstation of cluelessness codified in NAUI classes.

Perhaps they can come up with a more acceptable name that will still give them some distinction as having come up with the novel idea of adding a *deep stop*.

... I've got it.

*Faux Deco*

no no... can't use the D word...

Hmmmm....

*Abitrary Stop at half the max depth because....*

no no... too long...

Hmmmm....

I gotta go.... I'll work on it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom