Rule of Halves?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think only 4 people ended up doing the first dive - the "surface" current got deeper and deeper as the dive progressed, I was flagpoling on the anchor chain during the 40' stop. I hit 59' on the second dive.

NetDoc once bubbled...
Don't blame NAUI for the confusion that's out there. The rule of thirds is well established (and documented in print) in the field of gas management, but I have never run across a "Rule of Halves" in gas management except on this board.

The rule of halves is used way more often than the rule of thirds. ..half the gas on the way out, half the gas to get back where you started. Subtract the "rock bottom" first.

as to the rule of halves........we just call it your "turn" pressure. Half the gas after rock bottom, with considerations of currents i.e. make the working swim your out and the easier swim your in. Then there's a consideration for depth.....will the last half be shallower? (it should be) so much planning....LOL.... life is good.

tony

I'd just like to say that I haven't been to this board for a while and this is the first thread I have read today. I was really disappointed. Normally the threads are full of useful information, but this one just seems to be a bunch of fairly arrogant people arguing about who has the best name for a rule which they have dismissed simply because it comes from an agency which they consider "below" them.

You know, everything I have ever read, especially on this board, suggests that by doing a 1 minute stop at half your depth you would always be better off than by not doing it and so why not just do it. Who cares what it is called. Everything is better than being an ADWGB (arrogant diver who got bent).

So folks, please try to leave your petty problems with the big agencies behind and stick to the interesting stuff, which is whether the rule works or not. :)

Good job NetDoc, yours (along with the original question) was the only post on this thread I thought worth reading.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom