Rule of Halves?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I also agree.

No, that will work UP. The big agencies love acronyms anyway. Remember BWRAF?

ASHMDT2MA20

Arbitrary Stop at Half Max Depth Then 2 Minutes At 20

:D

Uncle Pug once bubbled...
... I've got it.

*Faux Deco*

no no... can't use the D word...

Hmmmm....

*Abitrary Stop at half the max depth because....*

no no... too long...

Hmmmm....

I gotta go.... I'll work on it.

would be what? Don't blame NAUI for the confusion that's out there. The rule of thirds is well established (and documented in print) in the field of gas management, but I have never run across a "Rule of Halves" in gas management except on this board. Of course, my technical reading is limited, so I may just have missed it. Still, I don't see any "conflict" between the two rules, so they should be easily kept apart, and that might even help in remembering both.

It is my understanding that Dr Bruce Weinke (BRW on this board) proposed that NAUI adopt this rule for BOW training this past Feb at the NAUI Decompression Workshop, which was attended by a veritable who's who of the decompression diving world in Tampa Florida. Even GI3 was there and presenting! Somehow, I think the concept and not the name is the news worthy item here.

But then, I guess it is a human tendency to assign blame where praise should be given. Thank you NAUI for taking the time and effort, and spending the money to determine that this is indeed a "good thing" and then making it a part of your BOW training. It is great to see an agency that is not only open to change but that embraces it as well. On the flip side though, I am glad that they don't cycle through theories like an assembly line either... now THAT would be confusing to BOW students if they did. Change is good when merited, but distracting and confusing when done only for "change's" sake.

detroit diver once bubbled...
No, that will work UP. The big agencies love acronyms anyway. Remember BWRAF?

ASHMDT2MA20

Arbitrary Stop at Half Max Depth Then 2 Minutes At 20

:D

All agencies, even the little ones, love acronyms.

NetDoc once bubbled...
. Thank you NAUI for taking the time and effort, and spending the money to determine that this is indeed a "good thing" and then making it a part of your BOW training.
I for one am glad that a major agency is adding some form of deep stop to their basic OW training. I have a lot of "random" buddies since I go on dive trips solo. Way too many of them have this blank look, or ask "Why?", when I mention the stops I'll be doing during the ascent.

Charlie

I agree with most of what you said... but I strongly feel that every dive is a decompression inducing dive: some more than others. I also feel that there is a very low incidence of clinical and sub-clinical DCS already and that even an "arbitrary" stop at half of your depth for a full minute will not only slow ascents down appreciably, but also reduce micro bubbles in the quick tissues significantly. Its the law of diminishing returns here... a minute stop is unbelievably better than no stop at all and any additional stops will add some cushion, but not near as much as that initial stop. As for acronyms; call it NADS (Naui's Arbitrary Deep Stop) if you must. I am still glad that they have made it part of their minimum standards.

NetDoc once bubbled...
I agree with most of what you said... but I strongly feel that every dive is a decompression inducing dive: some more than others. I also feel that there is a very low incidence of clinical and sub-clinical DCS already and that even an "arbitrary" stop at half of your depth for a full minute will not only slow ascents down appreciably, but also reduce micro bubbles in the quick tissues significantly. Its the law of diminishing returns here... a minute stop is unbelievably better than no stop at all and any additional stops will add some cushion, but not near as much as that initial stop. As for acronyms; call it NADS (Naui's Arbitrary Deep Stop) if you must. I am still glad that they have made it part of their minimum standards.

Great name- NADS!

I can see the marketing now:

NAUI says: Remember your NADS. Especially when you are deep.

and you guys can talk about who has the biggest "NADS" too! Hmnnnn, seems you already do that! :tease:

Max depth 83', so I did a 1 minute stop at 40' in addition to 1 min to 30', then 1 min to 20', then 2 min at 20', then about 1.5 mins to the surface.

Wasn't much to see at it.

Scubaroo once bubbled...
Max depth 83', so I did a 1 minute stop at 40' in addition to 1 min to 30', then 1 min to 20', then 2 min at 20', then about 1.5 mins to the surface.

Wasn't much to see at it.

Nice to have met you today....This must have been the first dive, since the second dive was only in 50'...I only got to 61' on that second dive...

Hope to see you again!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom