Russian Rebreathers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Anthony Appleyard:
Well, how long DOES an IDA71 last on a filling in its original Russian mode?

Welll - depends what ur filling it with... If u know what I mean:) But in all seriousness - don't quote me on that - about 2.5 hours. (And I'm not sure it was a max dive)

H2Andy - I was just joking... And no things haven't changed over there... Consumer goods are still crap, military stuff is simply awesome (but with less frequent updates nowadays)... Scuba gear is picking up though due to the Kursk disaster...

PAdiver93:
... don't quote me on that - about 2.5 hours. (And I'm not sure it was a max dive)...

If you allow for divers using oxygen at different rates, and filling the oxygen cylinder to different pressures, a maximum dive might get to 4 hours, perhaps.

An IDA71's absorbent canister is about 175 cubic inches. IDA71's have two canisters. How does that compare with canister size versus dive duration for other rebreathers?

PAdiver93:
... Scuba gear is picking up though due to the Kursk disaster...

Do you mean that Russian open-circuit diving type kit is becoming better quality? or what? I read in a diving magazine an article by a man from England who dived in Russia, and he had to bring all his own kit and air because he found that:-
- Russian wetsuits were inadequate and thin.
- A Russian open-circuit scuba set that he tested "supplied neat nerve gas", which likeliest means that the air had not been filtered adequately in the compressor.
It seems that the rule in Russia is still "use military kit only". If a native Russian sport diving kit manufacturing trade is to survive in competition with Western kit, its management will need a change of attitude.

supplied neat nerve gas[/I]", which likeliest means that the air had not been filtered adequately in the compressor.
It seems that the rule in Russia is still "use military kit only". If a native Russian sport diving kit manufacturing trade is to survive in competition with Western kit, its management will need a change of attitude.
No actually with PADi centers springing up all over - quality of rec. diving is increasing also. Equipment is the same as here - obviously u can't find an LDS on every corner like u can here.

Quality - strictly military stuff. They r spending a lot more "rubles" on R&D

Sorry :: what is an LDS?

Is the quality improving of sport scuba gear made in Russia? Ii could be that if scuba diving becomes common in Russia, and if the amount of money going out of Russia to pay for imported scuba gear increases along with it, the government's finance minister will start to say things, and the government may start finding security and safety type excuses to put licencing-type controls on scuba diving.

Local Dive Shop.

Anthony Appleyard:
It seems that the rule in Russia is still "use military kit only".
*nods*

I have an IDA64A and the build quality is excellent and there are enough spares in the box to last out my days. eg: Inch diameter mica disks under caged springs for 'I can't feel it' WOB mouthpiece and no plastic bits anywhere. I think it is zero mag too as I haven't found anything a magnet sticks too yet.

However the use of oxygen to 20m does make the FFM seem a good idea.

Anthony Appleyard:
Sorry :: what is an LDS?

Is the quality improving of sport scuba gear made in Russia? Ii could be that if scuba diving becomes common in Russia, and if the amount of money going out of Russia to pay for imported scuba gear increases along with it, the government's finance minister will start to say things, and the government may start finding security and safety type excuses to put licencing-type controls on scuba diving.

who gives a crap if russian gear is up to snuff or not? with all the gear available nowadays why even debate the issue? Soviet stuff is way inferior to the Wests, consumer or military.they have one or two marquis items that are respectable(AK-47 Mig29) but all in all,they've always lagged behind the west. they just didn't have the bucks to hang with us industrially(thanks Ronnie!)ever see a russian car being sold in the U.S.? didn't think so.their bag was always numbers with a c-hair of quality thrown in by mistake.. speaking as a 1st generation Ukrainian in the U.S.i couldn't buy thier stuff for a number of reasons.besides the fact that Stalin had my grandparents killed,they build crap! i try not to throw money away.look at the countries where russian stuff sells. would you want to live in that country? didn't think so.it may as well be france!

funny....I am a 0th generation Russian Jew. Why do you hold so much hatred towards the country that you are from?

lord1234:
funny....I am a 0th generation Russian Jew. Why do you hold so much hatred towards the country that you are from?
i was born in the U.S. my parents came here in '51, so this is the country i am from. second,when people kill my family members i tend to hold a grudge.(i didn't think there was that much anger) and third, i don't like inferior products that can threaten my safety especially when other, more reliable stuff is available. sometimes a bargain is not a bargain at all. and in closing, if ya can't goof on france,who can ya goof on?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom