Russian Rebreathers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BigJetDriver69:
Anthony, Did you ever get a good answer on the amount of sorb, and duration of that Russian rig? If not, I have a friend who has several, and I can get the info from him. Rob

At last, back to topic, after all that Russian language stuff.

I have heard differing answers, on this thread and elsewhere.

The IDA71 as made in Russia comes with one oxygen cylinder, and 2 canisters. In the bottom end of the casing is an empty space intended to accommodate an underwater ultrasound communicater.

Here I give numbers to various modes:-
(1) As an ordinary oxygen rebreather with an oxygen cylinder and one canister filled with sodalime.
(2) Both canisters are filled with sodalime, and a second oxygen cylinder put in the empty space at the bottom. That mode needs alterations in a workshop.
(3) With the second canister filled with potassium superoxide or similar. That mode is dangerous because of the violently heat-generating reaction that happens if the potassium superoxide or whatever gets wet. That is a Russian mode intended for use by combat frogmen.
(1n),(2n),(3n): As above but in nitrox mode with a Russian-made diluent cylinder clipped on the outside of the set's casing.
(4) With the second canister replaced by a second cylinder, and variations on that theme. That produces a nitrox set. That mode needs alterations in a workshop. Many IDA71's in the West are in that sort of mode.

One informant told me that in mode 1 the duration is 4 hours.

That caused a guess that in mode 2 the duration is 8 hours.

Another informant told me that in mode 1 the duration is about 2.5 hours.

Please what is the duration in these various modes?

See message #15 in this thread for 2 CGI images that I made showing guesses as possible action using the IDA71.

www_rifle.jpg
This image of a Russian frogman with an IDA71 and an APS underwater rifle was on one of your messages :: what sort of weight-carrying system do they use?

If Russian sea is usually that green color due to algae, now I know why the backpack set is green and not black.

the military has a tenancy to paint stuff green .......

what is this?

A good way to kill yourself if you have to ask the question in the first place.

Back
Top Bottom