Scuba Diving Magazines

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

At least we have that settled. Being inland, I don't have much access to wrecks so I settle for local lakes in the summer.

I was once in a bookstore that had a big spread of scuba magazines - dive training, wreck diver, etc. - most of the ones mentioned in this thread. I bought about 6 of them and the most useful for me were dive training and wreck diver.

DT does not aim high - but it's OK with me, if I hear something enough, maybe I will remember it. Good for continued safety reminders and basic info on many areas of scuba.

WD is all about hardcore tech diving, and even if I don't do that kind of diving, I can dream. Hell, I'm no shadow diver, but I enjoyed that book too. Maybe one day I'll become that kind of diver and get some hair on my chest, and on the backs of my knuckles, which will apparently be dragging by then :wink: .

Of course, Alert diver is a must read, even if it is on a fourth grade level and constantly drones on about DAN. I'll continue to read it for that 1% of info that I need, and to keep the right attitude about safety.

Local lakes make for great diving scubadork. Especially ones off the beaten path. We've found 1 lake in the middle of nowhere, that you need a 4 wheel drive to get to, with half a dozen stolen cars, stolen loot, sunken boats, and WW2 munitions. This in a small, shallow lake! Glad to see you get humor unlike of some of these "over-sensitive" types!

WD is all about hardcore tech diving, and even if I don't do that kind of diving, I can dream. Hell, I'm no shadow diver, but I enjoyed that book too. Maybe one day I'll become that kind of diver and get some hair on my chest, and on the backs of my knuckles, which will apparently be dragging by then :wink:.

WD is not necessarily all about hardcore tech diving and your cute little comment about hairy knuckle dragging is clever, but I'll clue you to a little insider info: the MAIN key to that whole thing is - you MUST have a monobrow. (Supraorbital ridges are also a plus.)

Wreck diving........so easy, a caveman can do it!

As the name implies, I dive just for the sake of diving. The whole sensation of being underwater is great. Actually the diving you do and the diving I do locally are pretty similar to the extent that we are both in low vis low temp environments.

I read Scuba Diving for the pictures, the articles on marine life, and the Lessons for Life article, although I disagree completely with the analysis most of the time.

Dive Training is a nice mag, and it does offer something for most divers. I disagree with a lot of what they write, but that's just a given for me.

Wreck Diving is great. I like how they talk about the wrecks, and ignore all the equipment issues. It does take a different sort of diver to make a wreck diver, though. I would wager over 90% of divers up in Chicago have never dove in Lake Michigan. They prefer to dive on vacation for the pretty fish and coral. There's nothing wrong with that. I like to take vacations and enjoy a week of easy, warm diving too. Marine life is incredibly interesting and complex. I've also found the incredible history and complexity in some of the sunken ships in my own back yard...most of which are much more interesting dives than the wrecks I've dove in the Caribbean.

So, I do feel like those 90% of Chicago divers ARE missing out on something great. In most cases, that also means I devote more time to diving than they do. Everyone has different priorities. There is no good or bad to that, it just is.

Tom

I do like Underwater Journal (it has had some very interesting articles in it, including a great review of rebreathers a couple of issues ago) and I also really enjoy Advanced Diver's online version. But they aren't print magazines.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom