SCUBA During public swim?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A lot of pools now use saltwater, not chlorine BTW. Never really had any issues with it but then for years I lived in the lap lanes, don't bother me either way.

N

I have permission from the town & pool manager to work on my skills during public swim whenever I want but am wondering if there are any laws against SCUBA during a public swim?
It would appear that you have obtained the proper authorizations. Polite, common sense behavior in the water should support continuation of those authorizations. Have fun (and rinse your gear thoroughly after each pool dive).
nemrod:
Why is there this assumption there is a law for everything?
Because our governments want to keep us SAFE, and laws are the way they do that. And ALL laws are, of course, sensible, practical, and for our own good. If there wasn't a law, we would have to think for ourselves, and that would be unsafe.:wink:

I worked as a lifeguard for many years and at least here in Oregon there are no laws regarding scuba and pools. The only problem you could run into would be the rules or policy from the agency operating the facility but you've already received permission. I would make sure that the lifeguards are fully aware of what you are doing and instruct them on how they can assist should the need arise. The majority of pool lifeguards are not familiar with scuba. Just my 2 cents.

don't know about you, but i'm not going in any pool that requires a wetsuit.

Good point. The LDS that I used work in had a rule. We had to encourage purchases of wetsuits to all new and becoming new certs. The pool temp was around 88F. Customers generally did what they were told. They sold a ton. I'm no longer with that LDS. :(

In many jurisdictions it's a capital offense.

It's okay in BC. I did my drysuit training in a public pool (at UBC). All we had to do was let them know.

As in, yo' might git mo' scuba time?

Back
Top Bottom