Scubapro D400

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hmmm...a January 28, 2002 post revived on May 24, 2005 and then revived again on July 6, 2009.

If the 40 month, 50 month progression remains linear we can expect another revival in 60 months - in July 2014.

At least people are using the search function...

If the demand lever rattles, it has too much play in it which will reduce the working range of the valve, reducing the flow rate. It is a 2 minute fix if the tech knows how to do it. The D330 / D350 / D400 is not hard to adjust, but the order of adjustment is extremely important as are some of the odd little quirks (ending the spring pad adjustment in the correct counterclockwise direction to keep from "winding" the spring, etc)

Hmmm...a January 28, 2002 post revived on May 24, 2005 and then revived again on July 6, 2009.

If the 40 month, 50 month progression remains linear we can expect another revival in 60 months - in July 2014.

And I suspect in 2014 there will still be divers saying that the D series is among the best performing ever produced. I hope I can still get parts for mine at that time. I only have three D300s, maybe I should buy a few more.

Oddly enough, I did recently find a few seats for the D series. Now I can rebuild poppets without having to buy a new repair kit. It looks like that nut has a drop of loctite. You think nail polish will do the job?

Locktite or nail polish will both work. The older service kits came with separate seats and you basically rebuilt the poppet. Those are by the way better quality seats in my opinion.

Personally, I am hoping SP continues to pull its collective head out of the sand and brings back the D400 much as it did the original G250 with the introduction of the G250V.

The D400 breathed much better than the somewhat misleading work of breathing numbers indicated and would do it in any position with virtually no case geometry fault issues. Plus the quality of the airflow is much better than nearly any other reg. At least that was true for the earlier D400's that had metal orifices and the pre CE cert levers. SP managed to detune the bejezzus out of the D400 before they finally discontinued it. If they had left it in its pre 1995 configuration it would still be one of the top 2 or 3 second stages ever made.

Locktite or nail polish will both work. The older service kits came with separate seats and you basically rebuilt the poppet. Those are by the way better quality seats in my opinion.

Personally, I am hoping SP continues to pull its collective head out of the sand and brings back the D400 much as it did the original G250 with the introduction of the G250V.

The D400 breathed much better than the somewhat misleading work of breathing numbers indicated and would do it in any position with virtually no case geometry fault issues. Plus the quality of the airflow is much better than nearly any other reg. At least that was true for the earlier D400's that had metal orifices and the pre CE cert levers. SP managed to detune the bejezzus out of the D400 before they finally discontinued it. If they had left it in its pre 1995 configuration it would still be one of the top 2 or 3 second stages ever made.

I'm currently looking at a D400 on E-bay. I asked the seller if he knew when it was made or for the serial number. He responded with the serial number 17895 190. In using the search feature (believe me I know I'd better have done this before posting) I found a post deciphering Scubapro first stage numbers which would seem to indicate the date of manufacture of this D400 might be the 178th day of 1995. Is this correct and if it is would that be the detuned version?
Thanks for any info

And I suspect in 2014 there will still be divers saying that the D series is among the best performing ever produced. I hope I can still get parts for mine at that time. I only have three D300s, maybe I should buy a few more.

Oddly enough, I did recently find a few seats for the D series. Now I can rebuild poppets without having to buy a new repair kit. It looks like that nut has a drop of loctite. You think nail polish will do the job?

I use the red/orange Loctite for those type of connections. I used it to reassemble a Mk20 piston and on R-series lock nuts. It could probably also be used as nail polish in a pinch.:lotsalove:

Yeah 2013 and the number of D series and Air 1 regs in the stable is growing...

I recently spoke to a tech at one of the LDSes and he referred to the Pilot reg as a piece of crap :) Which was very surprising form me...

The last 400's have a "morse code" design on the cover.
.....just picked up two Air 1 converted Pilots yesterday, I'm a pig in sh*t.

The last 400's have a "morse code" design on the cover.
.....just picked up two Air 1 converted Pilots yesterday, I'm a pig in sh*t.

Air1s converted to Pilot valve - that's a switch. Please let us know if you determine the size of the small o-ring that is the seat for the pilot valve. I am expecting it to be a -002 or -001 but I'm dying to know as I hope mine will need servicing some time before I am done using it.

I meant to say Pilots with the Air 1 conversion.
I regretfully sold my "flat top" Pilots a couple of years ago.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom