scubapro mk25 turret up or down...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have run it down since my first MK10 .

The HP hose going down to the SPG should actually benefit. And the LP hose tilted down a little going to the drysuit should be fine also since it routes under the arm. I would only be concerned about the BC inflator hose which would have to bend back up and over the shoulder. Everything else seems like it would work great. I don't have a turret regulator so I'm not speaking from experience, just trying to visualize how it would work.

I’ve tried it the other way, but this is just my preference. I’ve seen people do it both ways.

I keep mine pointed down, having it pointed up would seem to create more of a snagging hazard. Just my 2 psi

Necro-thread alert. But, UP is my style. I can understand down or angled since those who use a sub-optimal doubles plate for a single tank then must compromise to lower the regulator by flipping it upside down because the backplate and STA force the tank up way up with the valve centered behind the head at C1 vertebrae or higher. But, for those of us who have a singles plate (Freedom or VDH or similar) no such compromise is needed and the tank can be lowered to center the valve at C7 vertebrae negating the need to run the regulator first stage upside down :wink: to keep it from banging into the back of the head. It also helps a lot with trim and balance.

James

Looks like head space wouldn't be an issue with the MK19 either way. The DIN connection looks pretty centered.

Looks like head space wouldn't be an issue with the MK19 either way. The DIN connection looks pretty centered.

You had mentioned that the inflator hose might be kinked if the fifth port is used thus angling the first stage body and pointing the inflator hose downward. So, think about it, if the tank valve is way up behind the head as occurs when using a double tank plate with a single tank/STA then the downward angled inflator hose is then perfectly routed. If the valve is centered behind the shoulder at C7 then you would be correct, the inflator hose, being angle down, then would have to be bent upward and over the shoulder. One thing begets another. But, with the turret up and the valve centered at the base of the neck/center of shoulders, the inflator hose routes direct to the inflator with no bend upward needed. One thing begets another. Pick your poison and your antidote :).

I use them both, up for small tanks with a high back pack and down for larger singles. On my large steel twins I also turn them up as the outlet is under the knob in the center of the cross bar.

Newbie diver here. Lot's of great information on this thread. Currently, my turret is facing down as that is how the LDS set it up when I bought it. I will be reconfiguring my setup to experience diving with the turret facing up to determine the most suitable for me. Thanks to all of you for sharing your views!!!

determine the most suitable for me
This is hands down the best (and shortest) answer to the question. What works best for you!

Respectfully,

James

You had mentioned that the inflator hose might be kinked if the fifth port is used thus angling the first stage body and pointing the inflator hose downward. So, think about it, if the tank valve is way up behind the head as occurs when using a double tank plate with a single tank/STA then the downward angled inflator hose is then perfectly routed. If the valve is centered behind the shoulder at C7 then you would be correct, the inflator hose, being angle down, then would have to be bent upward and over the shoulder. One thing begets another. But, with the turret up and the valve centered at the base of the neck/center of shoulders, the inflator hose routes direct to the inflator with no bend upward needed. One thing begets another. Pick your poison and your antidote :).
I see myself doing exclusively single tank for the foreseeable future. My comments on the MK19 was more an observation of the pivot point being very centered, and thus, it seems the thing would stick up less if oriented turret up than with the MK25. This is all talk and listening on my part because I may just keep and use my MK17 and not care about it :cool:

Back
Top Bottom