SD 850 vs SD 870. Which would you choose and why?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was all excited to go buy the sd870, but then I read on the canon's website that the case DC17 only is rated to 100ft!!

The sd850's DC15 on the other hand is 130 ft; but the 850 does not have wide 28mm while the 870 does.

ARRGH. Back to the drawing board.

I bet the 100 ft on the "buy now" page is a typo.
If you look on the canon site on the page for accessories
for the sd870is it shows the WP-DC17 with a depth of 130ft.
SD870 Accessories

Maybe send canon a email for confirmation before giving up.

--- bill

It's definitely rated to 130 ft as I believe all Canon underwater housings are; I've certainly taken my 870 down to about 130 ft myself and it's still dry ;-)

I was all excited to go buy the sd870, but then I read on the canon's website that the case DC17 only is rated to 100ft!!

The sd850's DC15 on the other hand is 130 ft; but the 850 does not have wide 28mm while the 870 does.

ARRGH. Back to the drawing board.

I bet the 100 ft on the "buy now" page is a typo.
If you look on the canon site on the page for accessories
for the sd870is it shows the WP-DC17 with a depth of 130ft.
SD870 Accessories

Maybe send canon a email for confirmation before giving up.

--- bill

Thanks! I'm inquiring Canon to confirm. This is good news.

The DC17 can access all controls of the sd870is, correct?

I got the answer from Canon. However, I wonder if the person responding actually did the homework, or just looked at the website.

Thank you for writing to us. We value you as a Canon customer and
appreciate the opportunity to assist you with your PowerShot SD870 IS.
I am very sorry you are having trouble finding information about the
WP-DC17.

The WP-DC17s Waterproof up to 100ft. I sincerely apologize for any
inconveniences you may have encountered with this issue.

We hope this information is helpful to you. Please let us know if we
can be of any further assistance with your PowerShot SD870 IS.

Thank you for choosing Canon.

Now which SD series camera should I buy?
- want the SD series for small form factor for land use
- programmable button for white balance
- scuba case that goes to 130 ft
- 28mm wide angle
- short delay from button to actual photo taken

There is no other SD camera that has all the features you are looking for, notably the 28mm wide angle.

Sure seems odd that all the other "WP" housings are rated to 130 ft
Also nearly all the merchants selling this housing say 40m/130 ft. (the rest don't say)
I looked and looked for the manual or a picture of the actual box. That will have the real
information.
I did find one photo but it is a very small image.
I sharpened it and if you enlarge it, it sure looks like a 4 as the leading digit.
The part circled is what you want to look for.
It will say [40m/130ft.]

Maybe you could all a merchant selling the product and have them look at an actual box
to confirm it for you.

--- bill

Attachments

• tm_20071022a.jpg
    tm_20071022a.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 47
Unfortunately, you were given some bad advice. I can confirm that the DC-17 is rated 130 feet; it says so directly on my housing, on my box, when I purchased, etc.

This is clearly a typo, as I don't think any underwater housing is ever rated at only 100 feet, as that wouldn't make any sense - instead, they are all rated to the recreational diving limit (or below for 3rd party vendors).

I don't know of any other way to convince you that the DC-17 does indeed go to 130 feet ;-)

I got the answer from Canon. However, I wonder if the person responding actually did the homework, or just looked at the website.

Now which SD series camera should I buy?
- want the SD series for small form factor for land use
- programmable button for white balance
- scuba case that goes to 130 ft
- 28mm wide angle
- short delay from button to actual photo taken

Unfortunately, you were given some bad advice. I can confirm that the DC-17 is rated 130 feet; it says so directly on my housing, on my box, when I purchased, etc.

This is clearly a typo, as I don't think any underwater housing is ever rated at only 100 feet, as that wouldn't make any sense - instead, they are all rated to the recreational diving limit (or below for 3rd party vendors).

I don't know of any other way to convince you that the DC-17 does indeed go to 130 feet ;-)

My intuition tells me that you guys are correct, the DC17 goes to 130, and the canon tech support person is blowing smoke.

I'm going to get an 870... thanks for the help everyone.

Any recommended vendors for this camera and case?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom