Secrets to staying cool before diving in Drysuits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Actually, one venture company developed the suit material that generates the heat and cold by itself. So, you don’t need any electronic device or hose routing. They made the prototype of Ski wear and plan to apply it to the diving suits as well. But, I am not sure how much it is going to be… :wink: It is always issue though.

One minor tip I find helpful is to have my BC/tank/reg already set-up before leaving home -- one less thing to spend time struggling with/heating you up when you arrive at the dive site.

If there's no current (like a quarry or reservoir), you could float your scuba unit, then get in your dry suit, wade out, and gear up in the water.
Of course, if you’re negatively buoyant without your BC, be careful not get into deep water before you’ve made contact with your BC.

One thing that I don't see any one saying here, that does help a lot, is what you have on under your undersuit. If you are wearing anything that soaks sweat and holds it next to your body it gets kind of uncomfortable under the water's surface, once that moister cools off. I wear polypropelene underwear and a polypropelene tee shirt ( fairly snug fitting ) to start the wicking effect, then my undersuit ( Weezle Extreme Plus for winter or a Bare Comfort Extreme for summer ), then my dry suit. I really don't care if I sweat because it doesn't stay next to my body, and when I get in the water I cool off but because all moister has been wick away from me I don't get cold. Sounds crazy what I do, but it actually works and I'm comfortable as well.

I prepare my gear in advance, lay everything out so i can put it on quickly.
I'm trying to do everything in a speedy manor but avoid hectic and too much moving around. Once everyhting is on, I try to get into the water as quickly as possible.

IaDiverJ&L:
Hi:
Just like to hear anyone secrets to staying cool before getting into the cold water in the heat of summer. I know you can hurry, I know about getting everything ready before suiting up. Sometime I get into the water, with just drysuit on, then come out to put gear on. Maybe packing undies in a cooler of ICE? You know when it is in 90's and the water is 50's! Just wonderning.
Thanks
Jeff

it works well enough.

IaDiverJ&L:
Hi:
Just like to hear anyone secrets to staying cool before getting into the cold water in the heat of summer. I know you can hurry, I know about getting everything ready before suiting up. Sometime I get into the water, with just drysuit on, then come out to put gear on. Maybe packing undies in a cooler of ICE? You know when it is in 90's and the water is 50's! Just wonderning.
Thanks
Jeff

You must be talking about neoprene drysuits as being too hot on dry land in the sun in the summer. Because with trilam shell drysuits all you need to do is unzip it and wear it folded down, and unzip your thermals, and you will be plenty cool before you go into the water. A hat to keep the sun off your face, and you should be fine in a trilam suit folded down.

I have heard that neoprene drysuits are warmer than trilam shell drysuits, but then again it looks like you have the same issue with neoprene drysuits as with neoprene wetsuits -- too hot on dry land in the summertime.

One of the many things I like about my trilam shell drysuit is precisely that I can wear it half way on, and be very cool before zipping up to gear up and go. So my suggestion would be to try a trilam suit instead, particularly if heat is an issue on shore. :)

Back
Top Bottom