Seven foot hose for single cylinder

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It only seems silly from the comfort of the keyboard.

There's a huge difference between doing something in OW class and doing it in the middle of a stressful situation.

Absolutely correct.

If you plan your emergency contingencies for the best case scenario, then they will undoubtably fail when you need them, as reality will never be a best case scenario.

Never underestimate the impact of psychological stress on your ability to react to even a small emergency. Any planned contingency response, especially to an OOA scenario, needs to be simple, direct and fool-proof to the extreme. You need to estimate that you, or anyone else, will be operating on 25%, or less, of mental and physical capacity...and plan accordingly.

I've seen student divers freak (stress overload) because of a badly fitting mouthpiece. The same would be true for an experienced diver who was already suffering stress from an emergency. The same is true for tangled AAS hoses, tugged hoses etc.

Keep it fool-proof, because under stress we are all fools.

To calm the waters a bit . . . it isn't the molded nature of the mouthpiece that is a problem -- anybody can cope with a mouthpiece that doesn't quite fit their teeth. It's the length of the wings, and they can be shortened. I know people who love their molded mouthpieces, but have simply cut off a bit of the length to make the mouthpiece comfortable for anyone. It's a very small compromise.

To calm the waters a bit . . . it isn't the molded nature of the mouthpiece that is a problem -- anybody can cope with a mouthpiece that doesn't quite fit their teeth. It's the length of the wings, and they can be shortened. I know people who love their molded mouthpieces, but have simply cut off a bit of the length to make the mouthpiece comfortable for anyone. It's a very small compromise.

That's exactly what I've done.

If a ten year old OW student can use it I fully expect anyone else could as well.

I

That's exactly what I've done.

If a ten year old OW student can use it I fully expect anyone else could as well.

I

Possibly ... probably ... but everyone has their own unique tolerance level. That's why if you use such a device, a simple OOA drill prior to the dive is prudent.

Why wouldn't you want to know, beforehand, that it won't be an issue?

The ultimate cause of most diving accidents are assumptions that turned out not to be correct.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Possibly ... probably ... but everyone has their own unique tolerance level. That's why if you use such a device, a simple OOA drill prior to the dive is prudent.

Why wouldn't you want to know, beforehand, that it won't be an issue?

The ultimate cause of most diving accidents are assumptions that turned out not to be correct.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
I find the argument laughable to be perfectly honest. The team I dive with all use Seacure for primary and secondary regs. If something that simplex confounds the diver it's likely they wouldn't be diving with us anyways. Besides, if I'm donating my primary it will be designed to fit me first and foremost. No point in guessing who might end up receiving it. It's just a mouth piece.

I find the argument laughable to be perfectly honest. The team I dive with all use Seacure for primary and secondary regs. If something that simplex confounds the diver it's likely they wouldn't be diving with us anyways. Besides, if I'm donating my primary it will be designed to fit me first and foremost. No point in guessing who might end up receiving it. It's just a mouth piece.

If you are going to use Seacure mouth pieces be sure that they are trimmed at the back end. My wife and I started with them and my mouth is much bigger than hers (I'll never admit that to her). When she would put mine in her mouth it would cause a gag reflex. We resolved this by trimming the back of the mouth piece off.

Now that I've moved past rec diving I've gone back to to comfo-bite for all my regs. To me they work just as well and you don't end up finding out my buddy gags on you reg because I have a big mouth.

If you are going to use Seacure mouth pieces be sure that they are trimmed at the back end. My wife and I started with them and my mouth is much bigger than hers (I'll never admit that to her). When she would put mine in her mouth it would cause a gag reflex. We resolved this by trimming the back of the mouth piece off.

Now that I've moved past rec diving I've gone back to to comfo-bite for all my regs. To me they work just as well and you don't end up finding out my buddy gags on you reg because I have a big mouth.

See post 133.

I cut a large portion of my Sea Cure bite wings off. It is the same length as the OEM Scubapro mouth piece. So far everyone who has tested it in their mouth, including my 104lb g/f, have been able to easily breathe from it. Most people actually find Sea Cures easier to get into their mouths since they are a lower profile and made of a harder plastic. The OEM mouth pieces often have to be wiggled in, especially with cold lips. To each their own, but I do strongly agree about making sure a buddy can breathe off of the mouth piece before descending.

Back to arguing over long hoses? :popcorn:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom