Sexual Misconduct from an Instructor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am Maltese and NEVER heard of any such thing. I suspect his inability to control himself is why he isn't in Malta any more.

Thanks to all of you for your good advice, yesterday the messages went from insolent to threatening and he sent a Northern Irish colleague of ours a text message saying that "I hope that I killed one of your family up North" last night around midnight.

I'm not a lawyer, but I'm pretty sure death threats are illegal.

Can you call the police? Text messages are all logged by the cell phone company.

Terry

BTW - go for the eyes. They don't expect it, it hurts like hell, and if you are lucky, they'll lose at least one eye. Then while they are falling to the ground in agony, you kick 'em - groin good, kidneys better but a solid heel thrust to the nose will finish him.

Not that I would know or anything.

BTW - go for the eyes. They don't expect it, it hurts like hell, and if you are lucky, they'll lose at least one eye. Then while they are falling to the ground in agony, you kick 'em - groin good, kidneys better but a solid heel thrust to the nose will finish him.

Not that I would know or anything.

You scare me :fear:

Thanks to all of you for your good advice, yesterday the messages went from insolent to threatening and he sent a Northern Irish colleague of ours a text message saying that "I hope that I killed one of your family up North" last night around midnight.
I think this is intolerable behaviour but my concern is that he is still in the same geographical location as us and his messages have become threatening making me concerned about his mental state.
We have spoken to the police but as you know in Thailand they are not very helpful.
I guess we'll have to wait and see this out.

If the management of the dive shop are having no luck dealing with this individual, encourage the THAI OWNER(s) to deal with the problem. They're the ones with clout, connection and power. I would bet that if they felt their business was being jeopardised by him, they will take action.

Also, let the shop management and owners deal with reports to agencies etc. You don't want to get involved. A farang who can threaten businesses is either a) mentally unhinged or b) Well-connected. I've encountered diveshops who had to deal with both sorts (sometimes, it just takes the business owner to make a call and the problem's dealt with - hopefully the situation at your shop will fall into this category).

In the meantime, I'll stress again, take care of yourself.

Also, let the shop management and owners deal with reports to agencies etc. You don't want to get involved.

Good point :thumb:. I am sure some of us thought that but you stated it :thumb:

How hard can it be to handle a punk like this, especially in Thailand? 50 US dollar would be enough for some local gangster to take this punk's kneecaps out.

I work in a dive center which recently hired an instructor from overseas, everything on paper seemed to make him a suitable candidate for the job.
On the first day I was out diving with him, he grabbed me sexually in front of the customers. I voiced this to the manager who addressed this with him.

The following day someone diving with him mentioned that he had seen him touch a student near the groin which he claimed was accidental, I found out later that he had also groped another female colleague.
He claims this is common practice in Malta where he worked.
After addressing this with the manager he was fired but is sending insolent text messages to him.

He is a certified instructor with 6 different agencies and I am concerned that his behaviour will put students and staff at risk at the next place he will be working in. As he is still on the island and sending abusive messages could anyone advise what steps we should take to prevent this from happening in the future?
Could anyone give me some suggestions on what steps to follow?

I appreciate any advice from fellow divers and professionals

Kick him as hard as you can on the groin!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm Maltese and believe me if anyone went around groping women he would get into big trouble with his employer and society in general. It is NOT normal behaviour and certainly not tolerated. I get the impression the person is not Maltese but spent some time working here. Every summer we get an influx of foreign diving instructors coming over for summer employment at our dive centres. The dive centres here are very professional and would never keep a molester in their employment. It upsets me that this person is throwing a bad light on Malta...sorry about the rant!!:shocked2:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom