Sexual Misconduct from an Instructor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks to all of you for your good advice, yesterday the messages went from insolent to threatening and he sent a Northern Irish colleague of ours a text message saying that "I hope that I killed one of your family up North" last night around midnight.
I think this is intolerable behaviour but my concern is that he is still in the same geographical location as us and his messages have become threatening making me concerned about his mental state.
We have spoken to the police but as you know in Thailand they are not very helpful.
I guess we'll have to wait and see this out.

Are threats like that not a crime in Thailand?

I'd think that you've done about the best you can do in this situation.
As to;

Hired Goons - I'm sure it's just as easy for the perv/perp to hire them against you and yours, so I wouldn't recommend that course of action. If he IS juiced in, or that crazy, you might just come to work at a smoking pile of ashes in the morning.

Police - From what I've heard here and from others, I wouldn't count on the Thai police. I've been told by a US cop that threats are not a crime so I doubt Thai police would act on them.

Inform Agencies - That seems a no brainer. Haven't you all ready done this?

Undercover Ninja - Sending someone to get groped who can whip a quick TPR lesson on this guy sounds amusing, but do you feel it's your place to escalate the situation to violence?

Let a Thai handle it - This seems like the winner to me. If the system of patronage is what I've read here, that's your only reasonable action. You don't want to walk into a lion's den wearing a porkchop vest, right?

My own addendum as to the harrassing messages; I hope that you are not answering them. The best course is basically to ignore them. My cell phone and email have blockers on them so I can choose not to recieve communication from people that I don't want to talk to. Does your and your friends'? Use it!

I'm lucky.. as my mother used to tell me: "If anyone ever abducted you.. they'd let you go once they saw you in the light". Most ladies are not so fortunate.

I'd make sure the DS owner and/or Manager taked to all certifying agencies about the sexual harassment, as well as the police if the threats continued. I assume even in Thialand the DS could be held culpable if a customer was acosted.

Having grown up in that part of the world, Money talks. Go slip the cops some cash (tell them you really would appreciate their help and would pay for their time) and ask them nicely to pay him a visit once it is handled succesfully pay them the balance. cops are just underpaid in these parts so are not very motivated, Works everytime.

Back
Top Bottom