Shore dive... Where do you leave your wallet?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wallet stays in the van in my trouser pocket.

I have a dedicated set of "dive keys" on a lanyard, it includes all 3 vehicles I may be diving from. When diving wet it's in my suit around my neck, under my first layer. For diving dry it's tied off in a BC pocket. I leave a bottle of fresh water below the bumper to rinse the keys on exit.

To me security in a dive boat situation is much more of a leap of faith.

Pete

What I do is I put my wallet in my car and just before I leave to go diving I smash the window of a nearby car and set off the alarm. It takes about an hour for the police to come, make their report and leave. As a result, I have a personal guard service standing by my car while I am in the water.

Now, for those who see ethical issues with that, you can put your wallet in a plastic bag and (with the help of your dive buddy) drive one of your car wheels onto it. It is possible to comletely hide it from sight and there are 2 tons of metal (and plastic) preventing the wannabe thief taking it. Even if someone sees you do it, it will not be an easy "smash and grab". I don't recommend this method for purses.

p.s. Kidding about the first option....

Jon

Jon C:
Now, for those who see ethical issues with that, you can put your wallet in a plastic bag and (with the help of your dive buddy) drive one of your car wheels onto it. It is possible to comletely hide it from sight and there are 2 tons of metal (and plastic) preventing the wannabe thief taking it. Even if someone sees you do it, it will not be an easy "smash and grab". I don't recommend this method for purses.

Would a jack come in handy here?

-----

Mike.

well before i started diving drysuit i used to put it in my cannester light with my cell phone hopeing i didnt mess u and flood my light. if thats not an option just carry a credit card c-card and drivers lic. in a nylon wallet just dont put any paper in it and everything else is water proof

There are ALOT of car break-ins or auto thefts around the shore diving spots here in hawaii (probably targeting tourists) so I ended up getting a pack of the "dive approved" zip lock bags from my dive shop. They come in a pack of 3 If I remember correctly.. check out this site. http://www.watchfuleyedesigns.com

it's called ALOKSAK, "tested and approved by the us navy"..."waterproof up to 200ft."

I usually take all my credit cards, id's and even my car keys with the remote attached. I use a bp/w, so it goes into my x-short pockets, or in my girls bc pocket if she has the room. They've never leaked on me, and even if it did, it'd still be better than risking having everything stolen from the car.

Ditto, Otter box. There are many sizes that fits to your needs.

I always bring the otter box... No leak at all.

Otter box in a BC pocket.
I mostly travel for my diving so I have the smallest one that will hold a passport. There is also room for cards, cash and keys.
I also have one that I fastened a webbing belt to with epoxy. I can wear it when I am snorkeling and hardly notice I have it on.

trigfunctions:
I just carry my license and some cash in the water with me and leave everything else at home.

In case you see something you wanna buy in the store by the reef? :D

Seriously, I just leave the keyless entry fob locked in the car and put the key on a caribiner and clip it to a d-ring on my BC. I might look stupid with keys underwater but it works for me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom