Shore Diving Class

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was under the impression that most OW training dives are shore dives. I don't know of any LDS in RI that offers boat diving during OW training.
Are instructors taking students on shore dive w/o training them to shore dive? Maybe I need to read more of the thread.

MaxBottomtime has some good points. Another point is to fully deflate your BC before removing your fins to give yourself maximum grip on the bottom and keep from going up like a cork when the wave comes. It's a counter-intuitive action as I see most divers coming out with their BCs inflated. I keep my mask on, reg in mouth or at ready. Stand sideways in a karate stance when wave comes and put hand on mask. If I get knocked down my plan B is to crawl out with reg in mouth.

The go or no go is not obvious. In my very limited SoCal shore diving I have stood with DM and instructors who had decided it was too rough and watched a large OW class try to go out. (Half made it. Some had to be helped from the surf). Seems to me to require experience with the site to often make the call. Things like tide is coming in and it will be rough in 45 minutes is not something you know by just looking at the waves without experience.

Im surprised more shops with local diving dont offer something like this, but then it would probably take away from their "boat" revenue. I dont think an agency needs to get involved, as that will simply cost more. But it would have some value if you have never done a shore dive before.

I dont know if its "right" but I too struggled on the exit until I decided to climb out of my BCD before exiting. This allowed me to climb out quickly and then simply throw/lift the bcd to safe ground. (gentle as possible). I found I got out quicker and my gear didnt get knocked around as much.

Of course each entry/exit is different, and must be planned for accordingly. I also learned that getting in and out before the dive with just fins and mask gave me a good idea of potential problems.

I've only done surf diving 2-3 times in New Jersey--6' waves but a jetty protecting you from where they break, so I can't offer much advice. I am curious about removing the unit and throwing it. What about sand in the reg? I've had that a time or two and am paranoid about $100 overhauls. Most of my shore dives are walking geared up from the car into pretty calm water. If it involves even putting the reg down on sand I don't dive there.

I've only done surf diving 2-3 times in New Jersey--6' waves but a jetty protecting you from where they break, so I can't offer much advice. I am curious about removing the unit and throwing it. What about sand in the reg? I've had that a time or two and am paranoid about $100 overhauls. Most of my shore dives are walking geared up from the car into pretty calm water. If it involves even putting the reg down on sand I don't dive there.

Throw is probably the wrong word, but I can lift and set it down much quicker, I also have a lot more balance without the rig. I should also state, I dont shore dive much. Just this last trip to The Big Island where many of the entry/exits were a couple steps up onto the lava. The surge was strong on a couple of the days (IE no surfing lessons) It was easier to float upto the lava, and then lift the rig to a point where gravity will keep it fairly stable. I then climb to where my rig is. I managed to time this so I ride one wave up, hang on, then lift. Kind of like the surfers infront of the hotel did. I clip my regs onto a clip on the BCD and they seem to do all right.

But, situation would depend on strategy. I also find that on a crowded boat, its easier to simply dress/undress in the water.

Im surprised more shops with local diving dont offer something like this, but then it would probably take away from their "boat" revenue. I dont think an agency needs to get involved, as that will simply cost more. But it would have some value if you have never done a shore dive before.

I dont know if its "right" but I too struggled on the exit until I decided to climb out of my BCD before exiting. This allowed me to climb out quickly and then simply throw/lift the bcd to safe ground. (gentle as possible). I found I got out quicker and my gear didnt get knocked around as much.

Of course each entry/exit is different, and must be planned for accordingly. I also learned that getting in and out before the dive with just fins and mask gave me a good idea of potential problems.

I would be concerned about being pulled under and losing control of my gear. I do not remove my regulator from my mouth or my mask from my face until I am on shore.

Often dropping to the bottom and crawling out works well.

I would be concerned about being pulled under and losing control of my gear. I do not remove my regulator from my mouth or my mask from my face until I am on shore.

Often dropping to the bottom and crawling out works well.

Agree. I'd rather have my gear with me to help me out.

Another useful hint on entries and exits is that usually the big waves come in sets, and so do the small waves. I wait for the first small wave as usually the next wave is also small.

I was under the impression that most OW training dives are shore dives. I don't know of any LDS in RI that offers boat diving during OW training.
Are instructors taking students on shore dive w/o training them to shore dive? Maybe I need to read more of the thread.

It's surprising how often we hear of divers doing the OW dives from boats. Some instructors just don't want to deal with beaches/tides. Also it's good steady business for the charter operator.

I agree that this is an under taught topic. Too often it's blown off as common sense but so a new diver, especially one not raised at the shoreline nothing could be further from the truth.

Pete

Our checkout dives are shore dives. If it's nice calm water then I guess those students deal with rougher surf after certified. But we're not talking big waves like SoCal has.

All my ow dives were boat dives and i really wish we had done at least one beach. Dive as now its the elephant in the room and i hqve psyched myself into thinking that it is to dangerous and taxing for my current rotund physical form

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom