Shore Diving Class

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't really understand the question. Does it really take a specialty class to learn how to get into and out of the water? OW class is supposed to train you for diving in your local conditions (assuming that's where you train).

I learned how to dive in an area that's predominantly shore diving. My OW class covered how to enter and exit the water without hurting myself.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I got my OW cert in San Diego, and as I said in my post above, while the initial training dives were shore dives, the OW checkout dives were boat dives. I don't recall being given much, if any, instruction about how to enter and exit the water during those training dives. Besides, that was at a benign beach. Some additional instruction on how to time the wave sets, entering/exiting from a rocky shore, when to don/doff fins, how to set up gear on a sandy beach, etc., would have been welcome. However, since there is already so much to absorb in an OW class, I would have welcomed a PADI Shore Diver specialty. It's no less ridiculous than the PADI Boat Diver specialty. I'll admit that both seem a little excessive, since all one really needs is to ask other divers for advice.

As for the OW course teaching to dive in local conditions, that's certainly a good idea, but I hope OW instructors don't forget that many of their students--perhaps a majority--will end up traveling to other dive destinations. I never dove locally when I lived in San Diego.

sounds great for entry/exit, but what do you do with it while diving?

Two ways to anchor your surf mat during your dive:

1. Diving a kelp bed? Clip it to an armful of kelp while you dive.

2. At the bottom left of the first picture, you can see home-brewed "bottom anchors" clipped to the mats. These were made up of around 60' of line attached to a length of chain. We used these when diving kelp-free areas.

Another vote for LA County ADP it will give you lot's of practice getting across the surf zone. RRR is a shorter version.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom