Should a Vacation diver own or rent equipment...?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
My standard answers recently changed...

On one hand, it's still true that - for the cost of money that could be tied up in good Scuba equipment, the speed in which equipment can become outdated, and the likelihood that a Vacation diver would know his equipment well and keep it serviced - it just might not be economical and prudent to buy the more expensive pieces, like a BC-Device or Octo-Reg. Besides, if you rent your gear after you arrive at your destination, you won't have to pack and carry it, you won't be responsible for it en route, and if it malfunctions there - it's their problem. Or, would it still be your problem??

It'd only take one drowning to blow that approach apart. Even one trip to the chamber because of a malfunction, or one night in a hospital because of saltwater aspiration. With the rental gear I've seen people using, and the problems I've seen firsthand as well as read about here, my suggestions will be more like:

"If owning your own gear is not for you, Scuba just might not be either...?!?"

Rental gear is probably a lot safer obtained in the U.S. than outside - where U.S. rules and regs don't apply, and perhaps one can even find dependability renting from one's hometown LDS and taking the equipment with them? It'd be best and safest all the way around, though, if the diver would at least buy, own, and maintain his/her own:
(1) BC-Device;
(2) Octo-Reg with Safety Second;
(3) Safety Sausage; and
(4) Storm whistle.

Plus, if your BC is not weight integrated, and you'll use a web belt, at least own and take weight keepers.

A Newbie friend of mine recently told me that he was tired of fighting rental gear and was ready to own his own. I suggested that he might have to go at least 2 or 3 trips a year to make it worthwhile, and to keep up on his gear maintenance; he was good with that. But then, wouldn't you want a dive buddy to be at least that committed...?

don

The better question is why be a vacation diver. Just get out and dive locally. There is too much fun and too many good people to be met that way. Besides it is the best way to keep skills fresh. :D

Chad

ckharlan66:
The better question is why be a vacation diver. Just get out and dive locally. There is too much fun and too many good people to be met that way. Besides it is the best way to keep skills fresh. :D

Chad

I believe Chad is right.

If you are only going to scuba on your vacations, you are going to get real rusty between them. And you will need to vacation about every 6 months to keep even very basic skills.

Better to dive every month or so locally. Every state has a lake or quarry or spring somewhere that is dive-able.

As far as owning and renting, you should own everything except your tanks. You can get away with renting a suit, but the fit and comfort and buoyancy characteristics would be much better if you owned it.

Back to your original question, though; for scuba travel, I bring with me everything except the weights. Although sometimes I also bring the weights as well, about 14 lbs of soft weights.

To prioritize the order of the gear purchases, my list looks like this for travel:

Mask & snorkel (I never travel without them)
fins and booties
computer or depth/time gauge
dive tables (for 2nd and 3rd dives of the day)
dive skins or 3mm suit
regulator
B/C that breaks down and rolls up (not ScubaPro nor B/P)
sausage, reel w/ 50 ft line, whistle, metal mirror, jon line
weight belt with pouches for freediving

I also agree with Chad. Go diving alot, buy you own gear, but the best gear (it only hurts a few minutes when you get the VISA bill).

I started diving in the Chicago area in dark, cold lakes in Wisconsin. Getting wet, and learning the skills. Even when I was in High School, I bought my own gear and the best I could afford. (Fenze horse collar BC in 1972)

Rental gear is usually the most inexpensive gear available and in alot of scuba instances you get what you pay for. Diving is much more enjoyable when you are confortable with you own gear and can enjoy the diving instead of getting use to the gear.

Get a good reg and an even better BC.

I dive with my daughters.

We all own our own gear because - on our first dive trip to the keys we has serious problems with rented equipment and

I want BC's that fit their small frame -- winding up with an adult medium won't cut it.

As a relatively new diver I say buy your own gear. It took some dives for me to get my gear "dialed in", but when I did I was truly able to relax a bit and really start to enjoy the dives. If I had to rent gear now I'm sure I would be totally uncomfortable. If you add up the rental costs you will see that it won't take long for the gear to pay for itself. You'll probably then want to dive more often as well :)

Yeah, I agree - own your gear, keep it serviced. and stay in practice by going somewhere to get wet every month or so. But what do you say to the Vacation Diver who says he just wants to dive once a year....? :notify:

Here's one example...

In Cozumel, my friend almost drowned (5th dive) by getting a regulator (RENTAL set) from a smaller dive shop there that gave her a mix of air and saltwater suddenly at 60'. She paniced and took the reg out of her mouth at 60'. The DM shoved it back in two times on the way up to the surface. At the surface, her lips were blue but she was still conscious. She had inhaled a lot of saltwater. Overnight at the hospital and she was OK. Here's the scary part - diving two days later...my other girlfriend got the exact same reg set - and it also failed on her. She didn't panic, just swallowed the water and ascended. Second scary part, neither of them ever thought to reach for their seconds. The DM that day, just briefly took the basic parts apart and declared it functioning while on the boat. THAT ended our going with that dive op ever again!

My 6'4" Bud had to have extra weight to get down at first - as Newbies often do - then surfaced wearing the cheapest BC possible. Didn't panick, but was frustrated about not floating well, spit his reg out, and started to worry me. :drown: I told him to "Put the regulator back in your mouth" about 6 times, and was getting ready to drop his weights when he finally did. Now he owns his own reg and the new Oceanic Probe model and feels more comfortable, confident enough to learn more.

Another local I know takes his family to Jamacia every year, where they all do a Resort Course again so they can dive in rental gear for a week. I know he's a dangerous idiot, but he doesn't. :banghead:

DandyDon:
. But what do you say to the Vacation Diver who says he just wants to dive once a year....? :notify:

There are such people??? :wink: Before I learned to dive, I told myself that I would just dive on vacation and I wouldn't buy any gear. After my OW qualifying dives, I was obsessed, however. So gradually I bought bits of kit. Told myself just a few bits - of course, ended up with the full kit minus tank. Got so obsessed that I went back on my other thought that I wouldn't dive in the cold, low viz waters of the UK! Even that was better than nothing in between vacations to places with warm clear water. :bounce: And then came all the buying the additional gear needed for cold, challenging waters. And now I'm thinking I need to upgrade it all anyway!! Once a year?????

Well, I am a vacation diver - howeevr, I am in thelucky position to go on vacation at least four times a year and probably get as many dives in during the year than people who dive at home every other weekend... If ever I wasn't that lucky anymore I would dive locally, but at the moment I don't really see the point.
As for owning equipment - I only own a mask and snorkel, a computer and a safety sausage... I would buy my own if I dived locally or if I went on diving only holidays. However, I usually travel around at my destination, do some backpacking, climb a mountain, go camping etc. AND dive, so lugging dive gear would just be a hassle.
As for the quality of rental equipment - well, I have never had any problems with it. In fact, knowing myself full well, I probably trust a good dive shop better than myself to keep the equipment in good condition...

Get a spare mask - at the very least. Most reputable shops will maintain their gear very well, but the first time you rent from Boneheads, Inc. - you'll wish you had your own stuff. I like having all of my own stuff - my wife chides me that between her gear and mine, our garage is starting to look like a dive shop. But we ran into Bonehead, Inc. shortly after cert and went right out to get our own equipment when we got back - and, um, never quit buying. Your mileage may vary, and it sounds like your setup works well for you, so why spend all of the extra money. Just make sure that you have enough stuff to fix your own stuff. Extra fin strap (get it set up with the buckles - nothing worse than being seasick and trying to thread a fin strap through the bukckle), extra mask strap at the very least, or a whole new mask...

-Frank

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom