Should I buy a Dive Computer That Doesn't Support Nitrox ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As someone said above, unless it's a spectacular deal (like less than $50) I wouldn't bother -- the cost delta between a basic air and a basic Nitrox computer is very small theses days.

The cheapest way to buy something is to only buy it once.

Overall, Nitrox is used far more by recreational divers than technical divers. Proportionally it's a different story...

If it's an exceptionally good deal (see above) go for it, but otherwise just get a Nitrox computer and you don't have to ever worry about replacing it.

Roak

I wouldn't buy an air computer these days; the difference in cost is miniscule, and having to buy something twice is a real PITA.

GQMedic once bubbled...

HUH? You mean people still dive AIR??? *TILT*

Man, if nitrox fills are $14 and air is $3.50....

Probably sooner. Nitrox has many advantages for recreational divers too. If you're going to do multiple dives a day, try to do some of them on Nitrox if possible. For safety margins, you can dive Nitrox but use air calculations/computer.
If the air computer is really cheap get it. It can always be a backup computer. Why not?
Just remember that nowadays you can get a Suunto Favor for about 150$ (new).

Hey what's the matter with a bottom timer, depth gage and tables......... I mix my own too and this is a lot handier than some of the computers although it mean you have to actually do some calculations.....
Rob

Thanks all.

I'm going to pass up this deal and get one with Nitrox. The thing is she wants an Air Integrated computer with transmitter like my Data Trans Plus. The deal I saw was for a Data Trans which is similar to the Data Trans Plus except for the Nitrox support.

I'm trying to persuade her to get the VEO 200 which is only $300 bucks otherwise I guess I'll have to get her the Oceanic VT Pro for $650.

vicky once bubbled...
Probably sooner. Nitrox has many advantages for recreational divers too. If you're going to do multiple dives a day, try to do some of them on Nitrox if possible. For safety margins, you can dive Nitrox but use air calculations/computer.
If the air computer is really cheap get it. It can always be a backup computer. Why not?
Just remember that nowadays you can get a Suunto Favor for about 150$ (new).

Isn't the Suunto FAvor an air only computer?

z28pwr once bubbled...
Thanks all.

I'm trying to persuade her to get the VEO 200 which is only $300 bucks otherwise I guess I'll have to get her the Oceanic VT Pro for $650.

You might want to check out the Suunto Cobra. Air integrated & Nitrox ready. I like you have to buy things in sets as my G/F is also a diver :)

PS: If you shop around they can be found for around $450 to $475 w/compass.

Back
Top Bottom