Should I do Padi Deep before TDI deco & Adv Nitrox

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You don't need mix to do decompression dives, you MAY need mix to go deeper. Doing a 70 minute dive at 100ft is a decompression dive, on 32 and O2 it is very doable.

I think too much is focussed on 'mix' rather than doing a decompression dive correctly. While mix has its benefits, we should not equate having mix as equaling of doing a good deco dive.

I don't see a single person here stating otherwise. I myself do a fair amount of non-mix deco diving well within recreational depth ranges. (Which is pretty tough at times to do as the cold gets us first sometimes).

Using mix is primarily a function of depth, and deco classes these days are being promoted to depths (on air) deeper than their same mix classes run their END's with.

Sounds rather tenuous to me.

The knee jerk reaction is that TDI courses always mean deep(ish) air. That certainly can be true,but I dont see that it is required.
With the right instructor you could get certified for 300 feet without ever going over an END of 100.

There's are a whopping 2 TDI instructor's I'd be comfortable doing deco classes with - and that's because of who they are. I don't make excuses for any agency, their books are being updated, its really about the instructor, yada yada.

As a customer I expect:
A modern manual addressing today's knowledge
Logical combinations of skills (not adv. nirtox seperate from deco proceedures)
Logical gas selections with a max END near 100' (not doing 150ft ENDs in the beginning and then scaling back to 100ft ENDs for deeper dives)

I don't see the TDI classes being up to speed on these issues.

Its really sad that the Padi deep specialty is even further behind the curve.

For those of you that keep up the ragging on TDI and their programs....here is the contact information for TDI....I bet they would be happy to visit with you in regards to your concerns:

TDI International Training
18 Elm St
Topsham, ME 04086
USA

P: 1-888-778-9073
P: 1-207-729-4201
F: 1-207-729-4453
E: worldhq@tdisdi.com

Why should we? They are a business. If someone comes here and asks for advice about competing businesses why recommend a screwed up one? Why not just refer them to the better business? Its not my job to fix TDIs failings. I don't make excuses for GUE's vaporware OW class, nor the wide variations in NAUI tech curricula either.

Why should we? They are a business. If someone comes here and asks for advice about competing businesses why recommend a screwed up one? Why not just refer them to the better business? Its not my job to fix TDIs failings. I don't make excuses for GUE's vaporware OW class, nor the wide variations in NAUI tech curricula either.

What then would be your recommendation to him to advance his training and understanding of deco procedures??

Skip Padi deep.
Use the money to take NAUI Intro to Tech or GUE DIRF instead. (although they will probably cost more).
Go diving alot, work those skills into your everyday diving.
Don't plan further ahead than that.

Skip Padi deep.
Use the money to take NAUI Intro to Tech or GUE DIRF instead. (although they will probably cost more).
Go diving alot, work those skills into your everyday diving.
Don't plan further ahead than that.

Good plan. I'd second the Fundies (GUE Fundamentals of Better Diving) as the next step, too. It does not cover deco, however, it will show him the skills he will be required to develop of which will allow him to continue into technical diving.

I can't see PADI in this if we're having a serious discussion.

You seem to have all the answers...... plus businesses are always welcome to suggestions in improving as you would sugg. and or changing product/s to better serve their customers.... IMO your energy and outward frustration toward TDI would be better served by getting involved to curb such short falls as you continually bring up. Just trying to be of help to you guys. But it might appear that you have problems in many other agencies programs too. Gee......:shakehead: WE just live in a non perfect world.

You seem to have all the answers...... plus businesses are always welcome to suggestions in improving as you would sugg. and or changing product/s to better serve their customers.... IMO your energy and outward frustration toward TDI would be better served by getting involved to curb such short falls as you continually bring up. Just trying to be of help to you guys. But it might appear that you have problems in many other agencies programs too. Gee......:shakehead: WE just live in a non perfect world.

Honestly I would offer suggestions. However I believe its already been done by the (former) instructor corps. So I'm not sure why I should make an effort as well. People can talk with their money.

Gas planning yes. The He statements are both wrong, especially the one about He and deco.:shakehead: Doing a deco dive properly does not mean having/requiring He in your mix.[/quote]

Meng.....To clarify, going into deco when diving @ 100ft and below you should have He in your mix unless, Your exposure @ 100ft is very limited. Anything below 100ft and there should be some He regardless of exposure. My statements are not wrong. Just safer.:dork2:At shallow depth,above 100ft I dont see the need.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom