Should there be a thread for newbies recommending gear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm a new diver, got my card OCT this year. I purchased nice split fins off craigs list for $35 and new gloves and a new mask from Sport Chalet. I rent every thing else from my LDS where I took the class. They charge $35 for everything including two tanks so I can do two beach entry dives for $35 so I am in no hurry to buy more stuff. I do see myself advancing into tech/cave diving down the road so am always reading up on gear and talking to my instructures. BTW, I am looking at buying a primary dive light for open water night dives.

I would say that in the beginning as long as the equipment works, that is all you need, getting bottom time in and doing different types of dives to get exposed to what can be done and seen.

When I started diving I was using just back inflate BC with just an oral inflate and only one reg, no octo. That was at the time that I was diving with my grandfather and before I was even certified. (I know, don't start on this one, I didn't know what I didn't know at that time)

I got certified 5 years ago and when after I got certified I bought the jacket BC that I used in class, and had the reg and tank from my grandfather. I had an octo put on and a new gauge as well. I dove the jacket BC for about 2 years, then bought another back inflate and almost right after the back inflate bought a BP/W. I then said I was going to keep the back inflate for travel and keep my BP/W for my local dives. After a few dives in the BP/W I decided to sell the back inflate and keep just the BP/W.

Now after I have racked up some more dives, I am finding that I want bottom time, not necessarily depth, I like to poke around and look into the rocks, crevices and holes. I am not about diving deep for the sake of diving deep, but if it is to see something worthwhile then I do it.

Dive gear is too subjective; what I may like, you may hate. Thus, taking advice on gear to buy on the net could easily steer you down the wrong path. You could end up with gear that you hate and wish you hadn't taken someone's advice. I was told the Cressi big eyes mask was awesome. I tried it on and all it did was leak. I believe most people had a good experience with the mask, but it didn't work for me. In my case, all that I care about is what works for me. :wink:

Dive gear is different for most people as it's not something most can rent or use without a lot of hassle. The good thing is if you buy online many are now offering a 30 day trial period. Go to the pool and if you love it keep it, if not, send it back and try again. We all want to be told what the best gear is, but best is very subjective. You just really need to try gear for yourself and see what works for you. Not the answer most want, huh? This requires patience, work and a lot of effort.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom